Bebop Spoken There
Howard Riley: “When I started out playing jazz back in the late 50s, early 60s, if you wanted a gig you had to learn some standards.” – (Jazz Journal April 2017)
Eric Harland: “I love swing and I’m always going to swing but I also know that you can take a hip-hop groove and improvise with that just like you would with a swing pattern.” – (Jazz Journal April 2017)
Today Saturday April 29
1pm: Dean Stockdale Trio. 2:30pm: Abbie Finn Quartet 4pm: Rick Laughlin Trio - Quakerhouse, Mechanics’ Yard, Darlington DL3 7QF. 01325 245052. 1:00-5:00pm. Free (donations).
Dave O’Higgins with Durham Alumni Big Band - Majestic Theatre, Bondgate, Darlington DL3 7JT. Support set by Durham County Youth Big Band (7:15pm). £12.00. (+ concs).
Late night jam session - Quakerhouse, Mechanics’ Yard, Darlington DL3 7QF. 01325 245052.10:30pm. Free.
Ruby Turner - Alnwick Playhouse. 7:30pm. £21.00. & £20.00.
Fever & Friends - Customs House, Mill Dam, South Shields NE333 3NG. 7:30pm. £12.00. 0191 454234.
Bradley Johnston (solo guitar) - Cherry Tree Restaurant, 9 Osborne Rd., Jesmond, Newcastle. 7:30pm. No cover charge.
To the best of our knowledge, details of the above events are correct but may be subject to alteration.
Tuesday, February 28, 2017
Monday, February 27, 2017
(Review by Lance).
My kind of tenor playing! My kind of jazz! Armacost is one of those blowing guys that catch your attention from chorus one. He's Blue Note, Prestige, Riverside - those labels would have reached out to him way back when.
To be honest, I didn't quite follow the blurb and it made me think I was cheating by just listening and enjoying!
Then I did think about it and played a Hank Mobley CD.
I Stopped thinking.
Sunday, February 26, 2017
Saturday, February 25, 2017
Friday, February 24, 2017
Thursday, February 23, 2017
Wednesday, February 22, 2017
Tuesday, February 21, 2017
Monday, February 20, 2017
Sunday, February 19, 2017
Saturday, February 18, 2017
Friday, February 17, 2017
Thursday, February 16, 2017
In a Sentimental Mood.
Wednesday, February 15, 2017
Tuesday, February 14, 2017
Kathy Dyson stands for General Secretary of the Musicians’ Union the first and only woman ever to do so in the union’s 123 year history
Monday, February 13, 2017
Sunday, February 12, 2017
Saturday, February 11, 2017
Alan Barnes (alto sax & clarinet), Paul Edis (piano), Francis Tulip (guitar), Mick Shoulder (double bass) & Russ Morgan (drums)
Friday, February 10, 2017
- CD Review: The Greg Hatza ORGANisation - Diggin' U...
- RIP Horace Parlan
- CD Review - sort of - Tim Armacost: Time Being.
- Sue Ferris Trio @ Bishop Auckland Town Hall - Febr...
- A Hundred Years Ago Today
- CD Review: Theo Bleckmann – Elegy
- Hand to Mouth: Lindsay Hannon & Bradley Johnston @...
- Mo Scott Band @ The Jazz Café - February 24
- Doris Day & the Strictly Smokin’ Big Band @ The Mi...
- CD Review: Craig Taborn – Daylight Ghosts
- Chris Sharkey Trio @ The Jazz Café. February 22
- Jazz Hands Quintet - Black Orpheus
- HSJF 2016 Berklee Concert Jazz Orchestra
- CD Review: Heather Bambrick - You’ll Never Know
- A Highlight of the Year – the Great North Big Band...
- Jazz Café Jam Session - February 21
- Another Chance to Hear Up and Coming Singers: This...
- Larry Coryell (April 2, 1943 - February 19, 2017)
- CD Review: Troy Roberts - Tales & Tones
- CD Review: Jeff Richman - Sizzle.
- The Dream Jazz Collective @ The Empty Shop, Durham...
- Shobaleader One And GoGo Penguin Headline Gateshea...
- Ashington Swings Again
- Bruce Adams w. Strictly Smokin' Big Band @ Globe J...
- CD Review: Beata Pater - Fire Dance
- RIP Peter Skellern (March 14, 1947 - February 17, ...
- CD Review: Kurt Rosenwinkel - Caipi
- Take it to the Bridge @ The Globe. February 15
- RIP Barbara Carroll
- Jam Session @ Empty Shop - February 12
- Vieux Carré Jazzmen @ McConnell's Gin & Ale House,...
- Saturday Night @ The Globe - a Must Be There Occas...
- Kathy Dyson stands for General Secretary of the Mu...
- Madwort Sax Quartet + Noize Choir @ The Bridge, Ne...
- CD Review: Noah Preminger – Meditations on Freedom...
- RIP Al Jarreau
- You start with a blank sheet of paper…
- Southport Jazz Festival: Dixon, Edmonstone, Walker...
- Maria Chiara Argiro Group @ The Jazz Café February...
- CD Review: Sidney Jacobs - First Man
- CD Review: Mark Masters Ensemble - Blue Skylight
- Billie Meets Kurt @ The Globe Jazz Bar - February ...
- Alan Barnes with Paul Edis and Friends @ Opus 4 Ja...
- Alan Barnes & Paul Edis @ The Gala Theatre. Feb 10...
- CD Review: Shawn Baltazor - Lionsong
- BABMUS @ The Jazz Café. February 9
- Onyx Brass @ King’s Hall, Newcastle University. Fe...
- Svend Asmussen (February 28, 1916 - February 7, 20...
- Grandma @ The Jazz Cafe - February 3
- Southport Jazz Festival: Ben Cox Band - February 5...
- Southport Jazz Festival: Alan Barnes' Octet - Febr...
- Southport Jazz Festival : Birmingham Conservatoire...
- Southport Jazz Festival - Fabien Mary Quartet. Feb...
- Southport Jazz Festival - Derek Nash Quartet. Feb...
- Seamus Blake Trio @ Black Swan Arts Centre. Februa...
- Southport Jazz Festival - The Train & the River. F...
- Gin & Jazz in Jarrow
- Tommy Weatherly on Vintage Chart Toppers
- Southport Jazz Festival - Seamus Blake Trio. Febru...
- Royal Northern Sinfonia : The Cole Porter Songbook...
- Lickety Split @ The Globe Jazz Bar - February 4
- New Century Ragtime Orchestra with Keith Nichols &...
- Polly Parlourphone Trio @ the Prohibition Bar, Gat...
- Stuart Davies & The New Standard @ The Empty Shop,...
- CD Review: Nikki Iles/Roger Garfitt - In All my Ho...
- Gerry Richardson’s Big Idea @ The Jazz Café. Feb 2...
- New Lunchtime Concert Series @ Bishop Auckland To...
- CD Review: Loz Speyer's INNER SPACE - Life on the ...
- CD Review: Maria Chiara Argiró – The Fall Dance
- January had it's moments...
- Garland and Paterson reactivate Lammas in Eyemouth...
- ▼ February ( 71 )
- ► 2016 ( 990 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)