Bebop Spoken There
Alan Luff: “The general view is that Ella’s songbook recordings are the supreme exemplars of sophistication, fine diction and creative voice in the wide field of popular music.” – (Jazz Journal May 2017).
Steve Voce: “Most of us have been crashed into by cretins who walk along the road absorbed in the screens of their mobile phones.” – (Jazz Journal May 2017).
Today Tuesday May 23
Sunday, January 31, 2016
Zoe Gilby (vocals) & Andy Champion (double bass) @ Jazz Cafe. January 23 via Sheila Jordan @ Cantina Bentivoglio, Bologna, Italy. Summer 2015
Saturday, January 30, 2016
Friday, January 29, 2016
Thursday night at the The Globe and a select audience gathered to hear the Mark Williams Trio. The band played two sets of material the style of which went from classic guitar trio to jazz rock fusion a la crème and many things in-between. All the tunes played were original compositions although they had a familiar feel to them which enabled the audience to hook into the swing of things comfortably.
Thursday, January 28, 2016
Wednesday, January 27, 2016
Sam Crockatt (tenor saxophone), Kit Downes (piano), Oli Hayhurst (double bass) & James Maddren (drums)
Tuesday, January 26, 2016
Monday, January 25, 2016
Sunday, January 24, 2016
Saturday, January 23, 2016
Friday, January 22, 2016
Thursday, January 21, 2016
Wednesday, January 20, 2016
Tuesday, January 19, 2016
Check out here.
Monday, January 18, 2016
The years rolled by and I never heard the song again - apart from every Boxing Day or thereabouts!
Sunday, January 17, 2016
Saturday, January 16, 2016
Friday, January 15, 2016
Thursday, January 14, 2016
(Review by Lance).
Wednesday, January 13, 2016
- Lindsay Hannon/ Mark Williams @ The Jazz Cafe – Ja...
- Zoe Gilby (vocals) & Andy Champion (double bass) @...
- NCRO Update
- Debut CD from Huw V. Williams - Hon (Press release...
- Matt Anderson’s Wildflower Sextet @ Ushaw College....
- CD Review: Great American Music Ensemble - It's Al...
- Mark Williams Trio @ The Globe Jazz Bar, Newcastle...
- Music was their Mistress
- Paris-Sur-Tyne Photos
- Be Bop Jazz founders the 'Club Eleven' at a 25th a...
- CD Review: Mike Westbrook & Company The Uncommon O...
- CD Review: Gerard Presencer & the Danish Radio Big...
- NMBB Marching to Hoochie Coochie
- On the player...
- CD Review: Sam Crockatt Quartet – Mells Bells
- Alice Grace Quintet @ Jazz Café - Jan. 26.
- PARIS-SUR-TYNE @ The Lit & Phil January 24 (Aftern...
- PARIS-SUR-TYNE @ The Lit and Phil January 24 (Even...
- Jazz Café Cancellation
- Between the Devil and the Deep South Blues
- Folk @ The Globe: What Interested Jazz Fans Can Ex...
- Alice in Jazz Café Land
- Opus 4's 2016 season off to a flying start
- Stuart MacCallum @ The Jazz Cafe January 22
- Bob Wilber, Pug Horton & Colin Aitchison "on the a...
- Jamie Mackay @ St Nicholas Cathedral. Newcastle. J...
- Rudimentary, Ms Evans
- Jazz Co-op @ The Globe: The Safe Sextet - January ...
- CD Review: Allison Au - Forest Groove.
- Band wanted, Jazz Caff, Newcastle Feb. 26
- Judd or Jurd? That is the Question!
- CD Review: Peter Jones - Utopia.
- New Rebecca Kilgore album to be released later thi...
- Laura Jurd’s Dinosaur + The Early Bird Band @ Sage...
- Jazz Café Jam Session - January 19.
- A New Generation of Dinosaur – Tonight at Sage Gat...
- New facility for National Jazz Archive
- Vinyl review: King Bee - Money Gone
- Book Review: 30-Second Jazz - Lead editor: Dave Ge...
- Alice Grace Quintet @ Hoochie Coochie - Jan. 17
- Help JNE celebrate their half century.
- CD Review: Laura Perlman - Precious Moments
- Listen to the Epic (Hype?)
- Havana Style Cuban Jam Session @ The Jazz Café. Ja...
- Dinosaurs and Birds point to the future
- CD Review: Barbara Thompson's Paraphernalia – The...
- CD Review: Stan Sulzman/Nikki Iles - Stardust.
- APPJAG Voting begins
- Paris Sur Tyne - JNE à Cinquante
- Ronnie’s Bar – Jan. 6
- Delius, Davidson and the Drive-by Truckers: What i...
- Roller Trio + Leash @ The Bridge Hotel January 10...
- CD Review: André Fernandes - Dream Keeper
- Sax Theft
- RIP David Bowie
- CD Review: Hannes Riepler - Wild Life
- Alan Glen Trio @ The Globe Jazz Bar - January 9.
- Jazz Co-op @ the Globe: Folk and Acoustic Night; J...
- Pannonica @ The Jazz Cafe January 8
- The Jazz Ambassadors (and others) One More Time, O...
- Richard Shelton - An Englishman in love in LA is n...
- Amy - Channel 4 tonight 9pm.
- RIP Kitty Kallen
- CD Review: Echoes of Swing - Dancing
- Homage to Mark Murphy - R.I.P
- From No Place to the Globe
- Henry’s Swing Club @ The Brandling Villa. January ...
- CD Review: Deborah Shulman - My Heart's in the Win...
- RIP Paul Bley
- Jazz Co-op @ The Globe: Folk Meets Jazz has now Mo...
- RIP Johnny Rogers
- The Kid From Biddick Hall
- CD Review: Live at Foxrock Folk Club – The Parish ...
- George Wein and Andy Hudson
- Billy Cobham on Radio 6
- CD Review: Live At Foxrock Folk Club - The Parish ...
- RIP Natalie Cole.
- CD Review: The Dan Wilkins Ensemble-Jnana Vijnana
- ▼ January ( 78 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)