(Photo by Joe Boss Fowler)
Bebop Spoken There
Howard Riley: “When I started out playing jazz back in the late 50s, early 60s, if you wanted a gig you had to learn some standards.” – (Jazz Journal April 2017)
Eric Harland: “I love swing and I’m always going to swing but I also know that you can take a hip-hop groove and improvise with that just like you would with a swing pattern.” – (Jazz Journal April 2017)
Today Wednesday April 26
Saturday, May 31, 2014
(Photo by Joe Boss Fowler)
Friday, May 30, 2014
Thursday, May 29, 2014
Wednesday, May 28, 2014
Tuesday, May 27, 2014
Return tickets Newcastle - Carlisle are currently £17.40. However, if you are travelling with a partner or friend, ask for 'DUO TICKETS', the 2nd ticket is half-price which makes a considerable saving.
Monday, May 26, 2014
Sunday, May 25, 2014
(Review by Lance).
Saturday, May 24, 2014
Listen to their version of Way down in the Hole.
Friday, May 23, 2014
(Review by Russell/Photos courtesy of Ken Drew).
Jazz North East’s latest On the Outside promotion featured the French-Canadian duo of reeds man François Carrier and drummer Michel Lambert working with the experienced improvising pianist Steve Beresford.
Thursday, May 22, 2014
Wednesday, May 21, 2014
Don't just take my word for it...
MUSIC: SIDE CAFE ORKESTAR
Tuesday, May 20, 2014
Monday, May 19, 2014
Sunday, May 18, 2014
You MUST see this: Put it on your bucket list for next year
Saturday, May 17, 2014
Brazilian Music Educators Return to North East for Second Visit Sage Gateshead Shares Expertise and Experience in Exchange Programme
Friday, May 16, 2014
Roger Beaujolais (vibes), Robin Aspland (piano), Simon Thorpe (double bass) & Winston Clifford (drums) + Greg Spero (piano)
Thursday, May 15, 2014
(Review by Lance).
Wednesday, May 14, 2014
NE1 5DW tel: 0191 222 9882 open Tuesday – Saturday from 11am
Pete Gilligan piano, Paul Grainger bass and Paul Wight drums welcome sitters-in and listeners.
CD Review: Lee Konitz; Dan Tepfer; Michael Janisch; Jeff Williams - First Meeting Live in London Vol. 1.
Tuesday, May 13, 2014
Preview: Joe Stilgoe: Songs on Film. Celebrating 100 years of Hollywood. Sage Gateshead, May 14 8pm. Tickets £20.
Monday, May 12, 2014
Sunday, May 11, 2014
Mitry Mory meets Madchester or never the twain. The French contingent from the outskirts of Paris – the Shamans – opened the show at a well attended Jazz Café. A community, work-shopping band lead by electric bassist Chris Bonno, their set list comprised French popular song (George Brassens, Charles Aznavour), a standard (Autumn Leaves) and a Latin reworking of Minor Swing.
Saturday, May 10, 2014
Rest in Peace.
Friday, May 09, 2014
(Review/Photo by Peter S.)
- ► 2016 ( 990 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- Nicole Willis and the Soul Investigators @ Hoochie...
- Some good and bad news from the New Century Ragtim...
- CD Review: Alice Zawadzki – China Lane.
- Strictly Smokin’ Big Band @ The Millstone. May 29
- RIP Herb Jeffries
- Big Band Rehearsal in Hebburn
- CD Review: Rik Wright’s Fundamental Forces – Blue
- Charlotte Glasson Group @ The Jazz Café. May 28
- Cécile McLorin Salvant Video.
- In The Round With Phronesis @ Sage Gateshead May 2...
- Cécile Mclorin Salvant live web stream from Ronnie...
- Musivate Predicts the Ukulele Could Transform the ...
- CD Review: Tim Garland - Songs to the North Sky
- Jazz 'n Real Ale Train: Hexham-Carlisle-Hexham.
- Bell & Bucket New Orleans Jazz Festival. May 26
- Whitley Bay Carnival. May 26
- The Slowlight Quartet with the Slowlight Strings @...
- Djangologie @ The Cherry Tree
- Five Blind Boys of Alabama/North East Gospel Choir...
- Vinyl Review: Dexter Gordon - Soy Califa
- Preview: Five Blind Boys of Alabama @ Sage Gateshe...
- New Book on Saxophone Harmonics
- King Bee Launch CD @ Hoochie Coochie. May 23
- Francois Carrier Trio @ Recital Rooms, Newcastle U...
- The Slowlight Quartet: EP Launch @ The Star and Sh...
- EP Review The Slowlight Quartet In Flight
- Sonny Rollins - The Way You Look Tonight.
- CD Review: Tessa Souter - Beyond the Blue.
- Something for everyone at Newcastle Jazz and Blues...
- Global Endeavour
- Times They Are a Changin' - Chris Hodgkins Steps D...
- Johanna Graham Quartet CD Launch @ Pizza Express, ...
- Films and Live Music at the Side Cinema.
- Colin Aitchison and Franco Valussi July dates
- Jam Session @ Jazz Café May 20.
- BBC Jazz Generations
- Lyric from Gordon Phillips.
- Throwback Jazz
- ACV @ Bridge Hotel May 18.
- Chaka Khan & Incognito @ Hoochie Coochie May 17.
- The Late Shows: Lawnmowers Theatre Company - The G...
- CD Review: Greg Spero - Electric.
- CD Review: Kekko Fornarelli Trio - Outrush.
- Brazilian Music Educators Return to North East for...
- Roger Beaujolais Quartet/Greg Spero @ The Recital ...
- Adam Stapleford – Drum Kit. Final Recital @ New Mu...
- Pilgrim St. Set @ Hoochie Coochie. May 15.
- CD Review JC Sanford Orchestra Views From the Insi...
- Joe Stilgoe - Songs on Film - Sage Gateshead May 1...
- CD Review: Jeremy Fox - With Love
- 2014 Parliamentary Jazz Awards in full:
- Jazz Café June Listings
- CD Review: Lee Konitz; Dan Tepfer; Michael Janisch...
- Greg Spero Radio Interview
- Jazz @ Blaydon - James Birkett - Bradley Johnston ...
- Chaka Khan @ Hoochie May 17 - tickets NOW GONE!
- The Globe - One Giant Step(s) for Jazzkind.
- Paul Skerritt Band @ the Cherry Tree May 12
- Preview: Joe Stilgoe: Songs on Film. Celebrating 1...
- CD Review: Felipe Salles - Ugandan Suite
- More Deaths
- Snarky Puppy @ Sage Gateshead. May 11
- Greg Spero Quartet @ Bridge Hotel May 11
- ACV @ Darlington Jazz Festival Sunday April 27.
- Alan Glen Trio @ Salsa Café, Newcastle - May 10.
- French Jazz Night @ The Jazz Café. May 10
- Jason Isaacs Big Band "Swing Sensations" - City Ha...
- Very Sad News - Ron Pollard.
- R.I.P. Joe Wilder
- Paul Edis Trio @ The Jazz Café. May 9
- Pink Lane Jazz Co-op Launch @ Globe Hotel May 9
- Triptych @ The Lit & Phil. May 9
- Katherine Stone Quartet w. Paul Gowland @ Ashingto...
- CD Review and Launch.The Lindsay Hannon Plus - The...
- The Virtuoso Jazz Trio @ The Lit and Phil
- Sad News.
- A rare chance to experience the world class acoust...
- Jazz Café Jam - May 6.
- Preview: Snarky Puppy to storm Sage Gateshead
- Jazz in the Afternoon @ Cullercoats Crescent Club....
- Tobin on Tour
- Greg Spero May Dates.
- Firebird Quartet @ The Bridge. May 4
- Jeff Barnhart @ Darlington New Orleans Jazz Club M...
- CD Reviews The Virtuoso Jazz Trio Summer & Autumn
- PG Allstars @ Salsa, May 3
- Dave Douglas and Uri Caine @ Leeds Assembly Rooms ...
- CD Review:Mike McKoy - Ludwig Manhattan's Germaica...
- A Fine Way to Treat a Steinway!
- Greg Spero - coming to a venue near you!
- Cheltenham and more on BBC Radio
- CD Review: Holly Hofmann - LOW LIFE The Alto Flute...
- School Reunion, Shelly Manne & Bireli Lagrene.
- Global Jazz
- Zoe Gilby Interviews Ian Chalk
- CD Review: Bobby Avey - Authority Melts From Me.
- ▼ May ( 96 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)