Bebop Spoken There
Alan Luff: “The general view is that Ella’s songbook recordings are the supreme exemplars of sophistication, fine diction and creative voice in the wide field of popular music.” – (Jazz Journal May 2017).
Steve Voce: “Most of us have been crashed into by cretins who walk along the road absorbed in the screens of their mobile phones.” – (Jazz Journal May 2017).
Today Tuesday May 23
Friday, January 31, 2014
Thursday, January 30, 2014
Wednesday, January 29, 2014
Tuesday, January 28, 2014
The Scottish National Jazz Orchestra directed by Tommy Smith presents An Evening with Kurt Elling: SYNTOPICON
Monday, January 27, 2014
(Review/Photos -l/r - by Lance)
A day of many highs and only one low. Set in two venues within walking distance of each other Jazz North East presented 16 different line-ups in an attempt to fill the coffers left bare by the lamentable decision of the "Arts Council" to withdraw funding. The artists gave their services free and it is to be hoped the event was a financial success as well as an artistic one.
Sunday, January 26, 2014
Rest In Peace.
Saturday, January 25, 2014
Friday, January 24, 2014
Wednesday, January 22, 2014
Tuesday, January 21, 2014
More info as it becomes available.
Died yesterday of a heart attack, suddenly. Aged 40/41?
PS: See F/b.
Monday, January 20, 2014
(Review by Lance)
Sunday, January 19, 2014
Saturday, January 18, 2014
Friday, January 17, 2014
(Review by Lance).
Thursday, January 16, 2014
Wednesday, January 15, 2014
All day pass inc. both venues £15 ---- Afternoon or evening pass inc. both venues £10.
1:00pm Alan Law Trio Zoë Gilby Quartet
2:00pm Burgess, Wilson & Burt Matt Anderson Quartet
3:00pm Alex Hutton Trio Jason Yarde & Friends
4:00pm Simon Spillett Quintet Bonga, Coxon, Sanders & Ward
6:00pm Beck, Collins, Grew & Pope Graeme Wilson - Noel Dennis
7:00pm Jason Yarde Quintet Guitar Quartet with Burt, Coxon,
Sharkey & Ward
8:00pm Jonathan Silk Quintet Corey Mwamba’s Improv Mashup
9:00pm Paul Edis & Friends More Mwamba Mashup!
Once again Warren reminds us that he has a bit of jazz in his soul - witness some of the forthcoming events at Hoochie Coochie. The SOLD OUT visit of GREGORY PORTER on March 14 has been well publicised and is surely the North East Jazz Scoop of the year - and without a subsidy in sight! However, that isn't the only one. Seven days earlier, master keyboardist JASON REBELLO, recently heard at Sage Gateshead with Madeleine Peyroux, will be on stage at Hoochie and it will only cost you a "Prez" (a "tenner"!) so put March 7 down in your diary.
Tuesday, January 14, 2014
Monday, January 13, 2014
Sunday, January 12, 2014
Rest in Peace.
(Review by Lance)
Saturday, January 11, 2014
Friday, January 10, 2014
Thursday, January 09, 2014
Tuesday, January 07, 2014
Monday, January 06, 2014
And you thought Warren was charging over the top for Gregory Porter? Read this and you'll see he's practically given them away!
Sunday, January 05, 2014
Saturday, January 04, 2014
Obituary and YouTube clips.
Also, at 10:30 am today on Radio 4, Jamie Cullum examines the question, something along the lines of - is the piano's popularity waning? Not by any means a jazz programme.
Friday, January 03, 2014
Thursday, January 02, 2014
Bobby Gordon died on New Year's Eve.
Wednesday, January 01, 2014
All gigs at The Forum Music Centre, Borough Rd., Darlington DL1 1SG.
5: No Club
Thanks Shaune - Looks good. Lance.
- ► 2016 ( 990 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- Graphics and Jazz Suffragettes
- Pete Seeger dies aged 94
- CD Review: Marcos Pin and Yago Vasquez - Duology S...
- More Jazz Extravaganza
- Jamie Taylor/Tom Harrison Quartet
- Jason Rebello to play Hoochie Coochie
- CD Review: SNJO - American Adventure
- Gregory Porter gets Grammy for Best Jazz Vocal Alb...
- The Scottish National Jazz Orchestra directed by T...
- CD Review: Norma Winstone – Dance Without Answer
- More from Tommy Smith
- Jazz North East All-Day Jazz Extravaganza @ Bridge...
- Steve Glendinning Trio– Salsa Café - January 25.
- Funkalleros @ Jazz Café. January 25
- Tommy Smith on Facebook
- RIP Joe Evans
- Relaxin’ with Saxophonics on Buster Keaton’s Boat....
- John Wheeler Funeral Arrangements
- Triplestix on Concourse @ Sage Gateshead. January ...
- Dean Stockdale - Solo piano recital @ the Lit and ...
- Enhance Your Jazz Skills With African Percussion
- Jam Session @ Salsa Café, Newcastle, January 19.
- RIP Stan Nicholson
- RIP John Wheeler
- CD Review: Tim Kliphuis - The Grappelli Album
- Matt Monro. One Morning In May. ( Live At The BBC ...
- Steve Glendinning Quartet @ The Bridge Hotel, Newc...
- CD Review – I Love you Too Much by Elly Kouri
- Ex Extreme @ The Jazz Café – January 17.
- CD Review: Javier Vercher/Ferenc Nemeth – Imaginar...
- Baghdaddies @ Hoochie Coochie January 17.
- Paul Edis, solo @ Gala Theatre, Durham.
- CD Review: Herb Silverstein - Monday Morning.
- Gregory Porter in Downbeat...
- Jazz Musician: Viable Career or Enjoyable Hobby?
- Pink Lane Jazz Co-op support JNE Fundraiser
- On The Road with Zoe Gilby
- RIP Freddie "Fingers" Lee
- Jazz North East Fundraiser Sunday January 26 - Ful...
- Salsa Café Jam - January 12
- Hoochie Highlights
- An Ilkley Moor Pork Pie Hat
- Blaydon News.
- Mo Scott Trio Splinter @ the Bridge, Newcastle Jan...
- RIP Roy Campbell
- Mark Williams Trio + Claude Werner @ Jazz Café Jan...
- Tonight – Saturday January 11
- Next time someone asks you to do a free one tell t...
- REGION’S TOP YOUTH JAZZ ENSEMBLE PLAY THE HOUSE OF...
- Another one bites the dust
- CD Review: Get The Blessing: Lope and Antilope
- RIP Sam Ulano
- Before you attempt to name and shame let's have yo...
- The 2014 All Party Parliamentary Jazz Appreciation...
- Zoe Gilby Trio – The Jazz Café January 4
- And you thought Warren was charging over the top f...
- Jazz Café - New starting time/free entry
- Smokin’ Spitfires @ The Cluny. January 5
- Salsa Jam January 5.
- EP Review: Mark Lettieri – Futurefun
- CD Review: Joshua Breakstone - With the Wind and t...
- RIP Al Porcino - the Brass Sections Will be Muted ...
- Mark Toomey Quartet @ Jazz Café. January 3
- Rendezvous Jazz @ The Black Horse. January 3
- Jazz Record Requests/Jamie Cullum
- Festival News.
- Holiday Time in Hong Kong
- Seven Jazz Update
- RIP Bobby Gordon
- CD Review: Beautiful Love: Paulinho Garcia
- Darlington Jazz Club @ The Forum Announce 2014 Dat...
- Most Read Posts in December.
- CD Review: Pete Mills - Sweet Shadow
- ▼ January ( 73 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)