Bebop Spoken There
Roland Kirk: "[On playing 3 horns at once] There might be some guy out in the woods somewhere who we never heard of who did it before me. I do know I'm the first to bring it to the public''- (Down Beat May 18, 1967).
Diana Krall: "I'll come into the gig for the soundcheck, and guys will ask, 'Where's the piano player?' They don't realise I'm both" - (Down Beat May 1995).
Today Saturday October 1
Kevin Grenfell's Jazz Giants - St. Augustine's Centre, Larchfield Tce., Darlington DL3 7TG. 12:330pm. £10.
Play Jazz Workshop w. Asaf Sirkis - Sage Gateshead. 2pm. £20 (£18 Jazz Coop shareholders).
Sirkis/Bialas Quartet - The Globe, 11 Railway St., Newcastle NE4 7AD. 8:00pm. £15. Asaf Sirkis (percussion), Sylwia Bialas (vocals), Frank Harrison (piano), Kevin Glasgow (bass).
Rendezvous Jazz - The Red Lion, 1 Front St., Earsdon NE25 9JU. 8:30pm. £3. NOTE CHANGE OF VENUE FOR THIS MONTH ONLY.
Sinatra & Friends Holographic Concert - Whitley Bay Playhouse. 7:30pm. £22.00. (£20.00.concs.). Live performance plus AV technology.
Mia Webb/Roy Willis - New Ship Inn, 403 Sunderland Rd., Cleadon NE34 8DG. 7pm. Free.
Somethin' Blue - Mercure Hotel, 9-12 Priestgate, Darlington DL1 1NW. 7:30pm. Free.
Peter Gilligan (solo piano) - Cherry Tree Restaurant, 9 Osborne Rd., Jesmond, Newcastle. 7:30pm. No cover charge.
Ruth Lambert/Alan Law - Redwood Bar, Vermont Hotel, Castle Garth, Newcastle NE1 1RQ. Free 7.pm 0191 2331010.
To the best of our knowledge, details of the above events are correct but may be subject to alteration.
Saturday, April 21, 2012
- ► 2016 ( 730 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- DVD Released today - The Jazz Baroness
- DAGDA w. JEAN TOUSSAINT - Splinter @ The Bridge, N...
- Jazz Café
- Tonight's Jazz Line-UP on BBC Radio 3.
- Doggin' Around Hull.
- New Century Ragtime Orchestra - Jazz @ The Fell @ ...
- Meet the Fireflies.
- News Flash! No More Rascals.
- Zoe Gilby Quartet @ Hoochie Coochie.
- R.I.P. Derek Bridge.
- Jazz Esquires @ The Porthole.
- Bobby Carr @ The Porthole, North Shields.
- We Free Kings - Schmazz @ The Cluny. April 24
- Ray Dales w. the Jeremy McMurray Trio @ The Cherry...
- Those Were The Days! Newcastle Jazz Festival 1972....
- Jazz Café
- Redemption Jazz @ The Bridge
- Darlington Jazz Festival @ The Forum Music Centre....
- Some updates
- Darlington Jazz Festival - Sold Out!
- The Blue Jazz Quintet/Take it to The Bridge Jazz W...
- CANCELLED: Irma Thomas & The Norman Beaker Band at...
- Death of a Legend. Bert Weedon R.I.P.
- Wilbur's Fate @ Hoochie Coochie April 19.
- R.I.P. Teddy Charles
- R.I.P. Moira Brown
- Marian McPartland Petition
- Thank you from Rita Nicholson
- Geordie Sinatra Trailer
- CD Review: Euan Burton - Occurrences
- Cambridge Folk Festival – But It’s Not All Folk
- Funding Blow For North East Jazz.
- Solihull Jazz and Blues Festival.
- Art Pepper: (More) Tastes From The Widow's Kitchen...
- They Said Goodbye to Brookmeyer.
- Sean Noonan’s Bourne to Brew @ The Bridge. April 1...
- Shakespeare’s Sonnets and All That Jazz
- Filthy Six @ Hoochie Coochie
- Chicago meets Lanercost.
- New Orleans Z'hulus - Jazz in the (Boston) Spa, Sa...
- A Night To Remember...
- JAZZ AT THE FELL AT THE BRITISH LEGION CLUB - Get ...
- Farewell to Hal McKusick
- Blues in the Closet - Vasilis Xenopoulos with Jim ...
- CD Review: "Frequent Flyer" – Lorenzo Feliciati.
- You Can't Keep a Good Man Down - More on Bobby Car...
- Budtones @ Queen's Hall, Hexham. April 12.
- Kit Downes Quintet @ The Lit & Phil, Newcastle. 12...
- Royal Garden Blues - Ruth Digs
- Safe Sextet @ Hoochie Coochie
- Blaydon Bulletin
- Bill Nicholson Funeral Arrangements.
- CD Review - George Crowley Quartet; Paper Universe...
- CD Review: Match & Fuse (No.3) World Service Proje...
- CD Review: Match & Fuse (No.4) World Service Proje...
- Dave's Dialogue
- Message From Mike Durham
- World Service Project No. 4 w. Tribraco.
- R.I.P. Bill Nicholson (tenor sax/clarinet)
- Jazz In The Afternoon. Crescent Club Cullercoats ...
- Groove-a-matics @ Tyne Bar - The Show Didn't Go On...
- Quote of the weekend
- Swing City Trio w. Ray Harley @ Darlington Arts Ce...
- Greg Spero Trio - Splinter @ The Bridge Hotel, New...
- Tonight @ The Bridge
- Dos Guitars/Elaine Binney and the Jazz Rascals @ A...
- Jay Phelps Big Band @ The Sage.
- Clare Teal w. the Jay Phelps Big Band @ The Sage.
- Eric Stutt on Good Friday @ The Jazz Café (On Fac...
- We Have Our Agents Everywhere - look out for them ...
- Spero sets the pace - Greg Spero Trio @ Dacre Hall...
- Digby Fairweather Joins Keith Nichols at Customs H...
- Zoe Gilby Quartet @ Blaydon Jazz Club. Thursday Ap...
- Paul Edis Sextet, Queen’s Hall, Hexham. Thursday A...
- Strictly Smokin' Big Band @ Hoochie Coochie
- Jazz on BBC Radio 3 at Easter.
- Death of Jim Marshall aged 88.
- Art Pepper: Tastes From the Widow's Kitchen.
- Night Lights - Gerry Mulligan
- Spring Jazz at the Continental, Preston, Lancs
- Message to Mike Durham
- Customs House Big Band
- Daryl Sherman Carrying Cole to Newcastle (Gateshea...
- Doris Day - Put 'Em In A Box, Tie 'Em With A Ribbo...
- RIP Jim Perry
- Frith Street @ The Cherry Tree.
- Djangologie - Jazz in the (Boston) Spa. Saturday M...
- Jazz @ The Fell @ The Legion - Gavin Lee's New Orl...
- A Jazz Day Out. Sunday April 1.
- Only 24 bars from The Bridge... Jazz Café Jam
- ▼ April ( 90 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)