Bebop Spoken There
Paul Desmond (As recalled by Marian McPartland): "I went up to him [Dave Brubeck] and said, 'Man, like Wigsville! You really grooved me with those nutty changes.' And Brubeck replied, 'White man speak with forked tongue.'" – (Down Beat February 1998).
Charles Brown "They tell me that everything you get after 70 is grace" - (Down Beat February 1998).Archives.
Today Saturday August 27
Tyne Valley Big Band - Tall Ships, Dun Cow Stage, South Harbour, Blyth. NE24 3PB. 2:00-2:45pm. Free.
Ushaw Durham Jazz Festival inaugural event. Full details at: www.ushaw.org.
Tees Valley Jazzmen - Devonport Hotel, Middleton One Row, Darlington. 1:30pm. Free.
Brenda Sokell/Paul Eden - The Quarry Pub, Broadway, Whitley Bay. 9pm. Free.
Giles Strong (solo guitar) - Cherry Tree Restaurant, 9 Osborne Rd., Jesmond, Newcastle. 7:30pm. No cover charge.
Zoe Gilby/James Harrison - Redwood Bar, Vermont Hotel, Castle Garth, Newcastle NE1 1RQ. Free 7.pm 0191 2331010.
Vieux Carré Jazzmen - Ancient Unicorn Inn, The Street, Bowes, Barnard Castle. DL12 9HL. 7:00pm.
Havana Club 5 - Bar Loco, Leazes Park Rd., Newcastle. Free. 9pm.
To the best of our knowledge, details of the above events are correct but may be subject to alteration.
Thursday, June 30, 2011
Wednesday, June 29, 2011
Tuesday, June 28, 2011
Monday, June 27, 2011
Sunday, June 26, 2011
Ain't no time for jive @ The Central Bar - they were here last week and done gone and moved down the line...
Saturday, June 25, 2011
Friday, June 24, 2011
Thursday, June 23, 2011
Wednesday, June 22, 2011
Tuesday, June 21, 2011
Monday, June 20, 2011
Sunday, June 19, 2011
Saturday, June 18, 2011
Friday, June 17, 2011
Thursday, June 16, 2011
Wednesday, June 15, 2011
Tuesday, June 14, 2011
I thought I was going to hear classical music at this free festival, which is on for an hour each day this week, and also in the evenings. However the final item of the concert turned out to be this saxophone quartet who treated us to some very tasty tunes.
They began with a tune by someone called Bill Hayes – I didn’t catch the title but it was something about wine. Then came Autumn Leaves, slow and fast by turns, with a high pitched climax towards the end. There followed Brubeck’s Blue Rondo a la Turk, from the Time Out album with short perky solos. Next came another title I didn’t catch, (was it
The four sax’s covered the range well, from the straight one (soprano?) to a deep one (baritone?) and, I presume, alto and tenor in between. (Sorry to sound so amateurish about this). The elegant surroundings of the King’s Hall didn’t detract and actually helped me to concentrate on the music more.
I’d recommend these concerts to music lovers in general. We were also so treated to wonderful piano (Beethoven, Chopin, and not a note of printed music anywhere). There was also an avant-garde (their description) piece by a tuba and trombone duo, which I thought defied classification, and could have been classical, or even Jazz North East ‘On The Outside’.
Monday, June 13, 2011
Sunday, June 12, 2011
Saturday, June 11, 2011
Friday, June 10, 2011
Thursday, June 09, 2011
Wednesday, June 08, 2011
Tuesday, June 07, 2011
Monday, June 06, 2011
Sunday, June 05, 2011
- ► 2016 ( 630 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- Farewell to Ottilie Patterson
- Benjamin Moussay Trio @ The Lit & Phil, Newcastle....
- Al Di Meola and Peo Alfonsi @ Union Chapel London ...
- Roy Hargrove Quintet @ Union Chapel, Highbury. Lon...
- The Things We Did Last Summer (or maybe it was a f...
- Time for a Fix!
- VOTNJO w. HENRY LOWTHER
- Jambusters @ The Jazz Café
- Ain't no time for jive @ The Central Bar - they we...
- Tonight's The Night at the Bridge Hotel
- British Modern Jazz Site
- CD Review: Serpent - Alex Garnett.
- New Band to be unveiled on Saturday at The Sage
- Doctor's Dilemma
- Bird Plays Benny - Maine Street Jazzmen @ Rosie's....
- A Slow Boat To China perhaps?
- Radio 2's "Special" Day.
- Tonight at the Spice of Life.
- Tonight at the Bridge Hotel.
- Lennart Andersson @ The Jazz Café Sat June 18.
- Lennart Andersson w. Paul Edis Trio @ The Cherry T...
- A Special Night Tonight at the Cherry Tree.
- Claude Werner Quartet @ The Bridge Hotel, Newcastl...
- Tales of the Unexpected @ The Jazz Café
- Review: Twelve O'Clock Tales - Claudia Morris.
- More memories of Johnny Heenan by Bill Harper.
- There's a dance pavilion in the rain...
- Remembering Johnny Heenan by Anne (DeVere) Harper
- The Three Tenors are in Town!
- Review: Tommy Smith - Karma
- Next Wednesday (June 22) BBC Radio 2 - 2day
- Lennart Andersson w. the Blaydon Jazz Trio @ Blayd...
- Happy Homecoming for Herbie Hudson Maine St. Jazzm...
- Moonlighting in Vermont (Hotel)
- Konitz Condition Improving.
- Lindsay Hannon's New Orleans Choir - an invitation...
- Soul Rebels Brass Band 'up North' in July.
- Eyes Shut Tight @ The Bridge Hotel. June 12th
- NEWCASTLE UNIVERSITY MUSIC FESTIVAL AT KING’S HALL...
- Lennart Andersson to play extra gig.
- Message From Mike Durham
- Preview: Claire Kelly @ The Vermont Hotel
- Tonight at the Cherry Tree
- Of All The Gin Joints - Jazz Café Jam Session
- Tonight at The Bridge Hotel
- Mystery Big Band at Newton Aycliffe
- Count Basie on Jazz 625 - does anyone have a recor...
- Claire Martin - OBE
- The Impossible Gentlemen @ The Sage, Gateshead
- R.I.P Johnny Heenan.
- Dave Connolly Funeral Details
- Preservation Hall Jazz Band in London next Friday
- Back Street Jazzmen @ Rosie Malone's
- Q @ The Central Bar,Gateshead. June 7th
- R.I.P. Nils-Bertil Dahlander
- 30 Terrific Jazz Blogs (worldwide) and we're among...
- This Friday @ The Sage - The Impossible Gentlemen....
- Bird on TCM tonight
- Tonight's Jazz North East gig at the Central Bar.
- One Guy Named Mo. Cherry Tree Restaurant, Jesmond
- Keith Stephen Trio w. Caroline @ Ashington Jazz Cl...
- Be-bop - East Side Torpedoes
- Tonight at the Cherry Tree.
- Scarborough Jazz Festival Program
- Legohead @ The Bridge.
- Newcastle Community Green Festival - Leazes Park.
- Customs House Big Band - second set
- Old Glory Jazz Band @ St.Joseph's Birtley. June 2n...
- R.I.P Ray Bryant
- I Took A Trip On A Train and I wish I'd took the b...
- CD Review: Pursuit of Radical Rhapsody - Al Di Meo...
- Customs House Big Band - tonight @ the Saville Exc...
- The Maine Street Jazzmen, Sinatra and a cat called...
- Take It To The Bridge @ The Chillingham.June 1st.
- Dave Connolly Shock News!
- ▼ June ( 77 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)