Bebop Spoken There
John Tynan: "Go ahead, call me reactionary. I happen to object to the musical nonsense being peddled in the name of jazz by John Coltrane and his acolyte Eric Dolphy." - (Downbeat November 22, 1961).
McCoy Tyner: "If anyone want to know how the three of us - Elvin, Jimmy and me - felt about John [Coltrane], listen to the music and you can hear the love and respect we had for each other. The music can really speak more than any of us." - (Melody Maker, August 19, 1967).
Today Wednesday April 26
Tuesday, April 05, 2011
Whitley Bay Update (via New York)
- ► 2016 ( 990 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ELAINE BINNEY & THE JAZZ RASCALS - CD LAUNCH
- William, Kate, Harry James & Robert Crais
- Jazz on the Quayside
- A Few Jazz Weddings
- Neon @ Gateshead Old Town Hall. April 28
- The Bridge Is Down!
- The Blues Band @ The Sage.
- Maine Street Jazzmen @ Rosie's
- Gasbook Googling! Ruth Lambert Quintet - Jazz in t...
- Boots Mussulli - unsung hero.
- Music Training May Keep Aging Brain Healthy.
- The Blues Band @ The Sage Tomorrow Night
- Can you help Anna?
- Kyle Eastwood Band @ The Sage Gateshead.
- Thin Red Line @ The Bridge Hotel. 17th April
- World Class Concert at Gateshead Old Town Hall thi...
- The Ghost of Marsden Grotto - Colin 'Kid' Dawson.
- Tonight @ The Sage - Kyle Eastwood Band.
- Easter Jazz Frolics
- AND ANOTHER GREAT AFTERNOON – JAZZ CAFE ON SUNDAY!...
- 800 YEARS ON........A GOOD AFTERNOON WAS HAD BY AL...
- Emma Wilson Meets Henry Lowther.
- Notes From a Jazz Survivor
- 800 years on...
- Hartley Jams @ Rosie's.
- Struttin' With Some Barbecue in Kowloon.
- Eastwoods Ancient and Modern plus Art Tatum and Ro...
- Nick Pride and the Pimptones - update.
- HUGH LAURIE – BIG SURPRISE!
- Pam Young's photos of Larry Coryell and Mumbai Jaz...
- Elaine Binney and the Jazz Rascals @ The Cherry Tr...
- Farewell to Bill Shenton
- NeWt + 1 on Radio 3 ronight.
- Tonight at the Cherry Tree
- ACV - Splinter @ The Bridge Hotel, Newcastle.
- Ray Stubbs All-Stars @ Central Bar, Gateshead.
- Jam Session @ The Bridge Thursday April 14.
- Sammy Rimington @ The Fell @ The Legion Part 2.
- A Child Is Born
- CD Review: Tommaso Starace Quartet - Blood and Cha...
- Jazz Today on Radio 3
- Sammy Rimington @ Jazz @ The Fell @ Gateshead Brit...
- Jazz Café Photos from Ali Ramsy
- Swingin' @ The Swallow Hilltop, Carlisle
- Larry Coryell & Mumbai Jazz @ Gateshead Old Town H...
- Stop Press! The Studio @ Hartlepool Folds!
- Maine Street Jazzmen @ Rosie Malone's
- Tonight I want to be here there and everywhere!
- Calypso in Crook! Edis, Shoulder and Veitch at St....
- Roly Veitch Trio - Wrap Your Troubles In Dreams*
- Syd Dale, the Squadronaires and more.
- Jim Birkett w. Maine St. Jazzmen @Ashington Jazz C...
- News Flash! Budvivar Breaking up.
- We're in the Shields Gazette tonight!
- Elaine Binney, the Jazz Rascals and the Mystical M...
- Ralph Sharon on Drummers.
- The Zoe Gilby Quartet(ish) @ The Cherry Tree, Jesm...
- Vocal treat tonight at the Cherry Tree
- VOTNJO - Splinter @ The Bridge Hotel, Newcastle.
- Lyndon Anderson Band @ The Central Bar, Gateshead....
- Martin Litton and Spats Langham @ Trinity Centre, ...
- Two programmes of interest today.
- Notes From a Small Island
- Basingstoke and all those jazz buses!
- Birtley Benefits from Gateshead Grant
- Rendezvous Jazz @ St. Joseph's CMS Club, Birtley. ...
- A Pub With No Beer Maine Street Jazzmen @ Rosie Ma...
- More photos from The Sage.
- CD review. Elaine Binney and The Jazz Rascals
- Message from Mike Durham
- Whitley Bay Update (via New York)
- Panama Query
- A Touch of Nostalgia.
- NeWt + 1 @ The Bridge.
- Jazz Café Jam
- Dances With Wolves - Elaine Binney and the Jazz Ra...
- Latin Carnival Beats at The Sage
- These Girls Are No Mere Butterflies!
- Customs House Big Band @ The Customs House, South ...
- PAUL EDIS SEXTET – Jazz in the café at the Queen’s...
- The East West Divide
- ▼ April ( 82 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)