Total Pageviews

Bebop Spoken There

Béla Fleck: “ And that's the great thing about live performances, you take people on a journey. It doesn't have to be like something else they've heard. It's not supposed to be". DownBeat, April, 2024.

The Things They Say!

Hudson Music: Lance's "Bebop Spoken Here" is one of the heaviest and most influential jazz blogs in the UK.

Rupert Burley (Dynamic Agency): "BSH just goes from strength to strength".

'606' Club: "A toast to Lance Liddle of the terrific jazz blog 'Bebop Spoken Here'"

The Strictly Smokin' Big Band included Be Bop Spoken Here (sic) in their 5 Favourite Jazz Blogs.

Ann Braithwaite (Braithwaite & Katz Communications) You’re the BEST!

Holly Cooper, Mouthpiece Music: "Lance writes pull quotes like no one else!"

Simon Spillett: A lovely review from the dean of jazz bloggers, Lance Liddle...

Josh Weir: I love the writing on bebop spoken here... I think the work you are doing is amazing.

Postage

16287 (and counting) posts since we started blogging 16 years ago. 169 of them this year alone and, so far, 41 this month (Mar 18).

From This Moment On ...

March

Thu 28: Vieux Carré Jazzmen @ The Holystone, Whitley Road, North Tyneside. 1:00pm. Free.
Thu 28: Gateshead Jazz Appreciation Society @ Gateshead Central Library, Gateshead. 2:30pm.
Thu 28: Richard Herdman Quartet @ Prohibition Bar, Newcastle. 8:00pm. A ‘Jar on the Bar’ gig.
Thu 28: Tees Hot Club @ Dorman’s Club, Middlesbrough. 8:30pm. Guests: Josh Bentham (alto sax); Alan Marshall (tenor sax); Neil Brodie (trumpet); Adrian Beadnell (bass); Graham Thompson (keys); Steve Hunter (drums).

Fri 29: FILM: Soul @ The Forum Cinema, Hexham. 12:30pm. Jazz-themed film animation.
Fri 29: Classic Swing @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 29: Rendezvous Jazz @ The Monkseaton Arms. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 29: New Orleans Preservation Jazz Band @ The Oxbridge Hotel, Stockton. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 29: Abbie Finn Trio @ The Vault, Darlington. 6:00pm. Free. POSTPONED!
Fri 29: Thundercat @ Newcastle City Hall.
Fri 29: John Logan @ Prohibition Bar, Newcastle. 8:00pm. A ‘Jar on the Bar’ gig.

Sat 30: Papa G’s Troves @ Prohibition Bar, Newcastle. 8:00pm. A ‘Jar on the Bar’ gig.
Sat 30: Pete Tanton’s Cuba Libre @ Whitley Bay Library, York Road, Whitley Bay. 8:00pm.

Sun 31: 4B @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay Metro Station. 3:00pm. Free.
Sun 31: Ruth Lambert Trio @ Juke Shed, Union Quay, North Shields NE30 1HJ. 3:00pm. Free. Lambert, Alan Law & Paul Grainger.
Sun 31: Sid Jacobs & Tom Remon @ Prohibition Bar, Newcastle. 7:00pm. Free. A ‘Jar on the Bar’ gig. USA/London jazz guitar duo.
Sun 31: Bellavana @ The Globe, Newcastle. 8:00pm.

April
Mon 01: Harmony Brass @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.

Tue 02: Jam session @ The Black Swan, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free. House trio: Dean Stockdale, Paul Grainger, Abbie Finn.

Wed 03: Vieux Carré Jazzmen @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Wed 03: Darlington Big Band @ Darlington & Simpson Rolling Mills Social Club, Darlington. 7:00pm. Free. Rehearsal session (open to the public).
Wed 03: Take it to the Bridge @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free.

Monday, March 28, 2011

After This and That - Now The Other!


The Jazz Festival is different for me from last year as I was very new to the Jazz World then but I’m finding my Jazz Feet now and they’re tapping away nicely on Friday evening in the Jazz Lounge, to the sound of ACV. I’d seen this band advertised many times by Lance and others, and it’s great to discover them for myself. As the brochure says, influences of prog rock, I hear Hendrix in there, and Andy Champion does so many fast chord changes that I’m worried that his left hand will fall off.
Next I’m in Hall 2 listening to Soweto Kinch and it’s good to see modern elements fully integrated into jazz. I refer to the hip-hop (or is it rap, somebody tell me the difference). Anyway, one song was a call and response and then we had great fun with the freestyle, based on the word ‘freedom’. This man is an excellent verbal communicator with audiences, never mind his vibrant sax playing.
Saturday and I’m in the loo at the Sage when I hear the most wonderful African singing and am tempted to rush out mid-stream so I don’t miss it. It’s ‘Hannabiell and Midnight Blue’ on the Concourse, wonderful African drums and percussion. This must have been one of the high points of the festival as it stopped everyone in their tracks.
Rapt attention.
Discussion is taking place about alterations to the Jazz Lounge programme as someone is threatening to jump off the Tyne Bridge, so traffic is held up. I then find myself in the lounge, listening to Nick Pride and the Pimptones, another band I’ve only seen advertised, and such professionalism under fire so to speak, as they were obliged to do a shortened set. I’m fascinated at the way Nick manages to integrate instructions to the band into his introductions, such as ‘And horns start this one’, normally stuff he’d say offstage I suppose. The evening sees me checking out the Central Bar, long before the Jam Session, just to see the architecture, which is smart Victorian (I think) and smells fresh and clean. Packed with punters. I predict a great future for this pub.
The main informal event of Sunday was to see my friends from the Sage Blue Jazz singing class doing their stuff on the Concourse with Lindsay Hannon and the Alan Law Trio. And didn’t they do well, Heather, Andrea and Gabby, all different and pleasing, with songs such as ‘All of You’ and ‘Song for my Father’. I’m out of the class this term (folk music called me back) but, (Health and Safety Warning to the Blue Jazzers ), I intend to return.
Oh, I forgot to mention the delights of the Horn Dogs (Horns, with cymballed bass drum and Snare drum, a set up I’d not seen before) and the wonderful Rocket Science (jazz/rock) whom I’m pleased to say I discovered for myself long before my jazz days. And two singers with them, and one used her voice as a musical instrument when singing with the band. Must try that soon.
Ann Alex

No comments :

Blog Archive