Bebop Spoken There
Roland Kirk: "[On playing 3 horns at once] There might be some guy out in the woods somewhere who we never heard of who did it before me. I do know I'm the first to bring it to the public''- (Down Beat May 18, 1967).
Diana Krall: "I'll come into the gig for the soundcheck, and guys will ask, 'Where's the piano player?' They don't realise I'm both" - (Down Beat May 1995).
Today Friday September 30.
Friday, December 31, 2010
Thursday, December 30, 2010
Wednesday, December 29, 2010
Tuesday, December 28, 2010
- Ann Alex forwarded me this YouTube clip of Goring based blues band Bigga Blue featuring her friend and, I quote, 'Titan Bluesman' Stu Weetman. Stu also knows Ruth Lambert and says to say 'Hi Ruth' - 'Yes he woke up this morning and said say 'Hi Ruth to Ruth', He said I woke up this morning etc...'
- It's good earthy blues and worth a listen or three.
Monday, December 27, 2010
Another gem from Colin Aitchison with his dad Hughie on trumpet. The vocal on Trouble in Mind is by Ray Jobling, the southpaw bass player with the Bernicia Jazzband who also played in various incarnations of the Panama Jazzmen including the original.
Sunday, December 26, 2010
Saturday, December 25, 2010
Friday, December 24, 2010
Thursday, December 23, 2010
Wednesday, December 22, 2010
Tuesday, December 21, 2010
Monday, December 20, 2010
Sunday, December 19, 2010
Saturday, December 18, 2010
Friday, December 17, 2010
Thursday, December 16, 2010
Wednesday, December 15, 2010
Tuesday, December 14, 2010
Monday, December 13, 2010
Sunday, December 12, 2010
Saturday, December 11, 2010
Friday, December 10, 2010
Thursday, December 09, 2010
Wednesday, December 08, 2010
Tuesday, December 07, 2010
Monday, December 06, 2010
Sunday, December 05, 2010
Saturday, December 04, 2010
- ► 2016 ( 727 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- End of year sadness. - Colin Johnson RIP
- HAPPY NEW YEAR
- Zoe Gilby Quartet @ Queen's Hall, Hexham. December...
- CD Review - Jazz at the Marquis - the Maine Street...
- Maine Street Jazzmen @ Rosie Malone's
- Maine Street Jazzmen @ Lambton Arms, Eighton Banks...
- Farewell to the Good Doctor Billy Taylor.
- Jazz Esquires @ The Porthole
- Wishes for the New Year
- Lead is Gone - Bigga Blue
- Trouble in Mind - The Bernicia Jazz Band
- Xmas books
- Saratoga '81
- Young Blood
- Singin in and out of the Rain
- Seasons Greetings from the New Century Ragtime Orc...
- My Favourite Jazz Solo of the Year.
- King Street Jazzmen 1 Maine Street Jazzmen 0
- Greetings From Hong Kong
- I've Got a Thing About "I've Got a Thing About Spr...
- Melody Maker Update
- Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow.
- A Cool Yule and a Boppy New Year
- Thoughts on 2010 - Part 2 - Away Days
- Garland/Champion/Tilbrook @ The Bridge - The Late ...
- On The Road with Brian Bennett
- Christmas in Hong Kong
- Tim Garland, Andy Champion, Adrian Tilbrook @ The ...
- Christmas in the Jazz Café
- Thoughts on 2010 Part One
- A couple of things to look forward to at Blaydon.
- Boost for Brenda
- Frank and Ella (Todd and Jacqui) - the BBC Big Ban...
- STOP PRESS: JAZZ TRUMPETER GETS NEW TEETH - Maine ...
- HOW IT WAS FOR ME – FURTHER FORAYS OF A TRAINEE JA...
- BLAYDON TONIGHT CANCELLED!
- Lockerbie Jazz Festival 2011 - Hopefully!
- Update on Musicon Jazz Festival.
- It’s A Cracker! Jo Harrop and Paul Edis Trio at th...
- Jo Harrop Returns to the Cherry Tree Tonight.
- Brenda Sokell on Alan Titchmarsh Show tonight 5-6p...
- Extreme Measures - Take 2.
- In Royal David's City - Extreme Measures @ The Bri...
- Of All The Gin Joints in Newcastle...
- Jazz Yorkshire Awards
- The Days Ahead.
- Tonight - Goodbye Saville Exchange. You've been a ...
- RIP James Moody.
- Rosies is now Refined! Maine Street Jazzmen Defy t...
- Jack Hamilton Quartet @ The Latino
- Farewell Mike Gilby - you went out in style.
- Customs House Big Band with Ruth Lambert @ All Sai...
- The Crowds Came to The Wake but the Corpse Refused...
- Claude Werner Quartet @ The Bridge Hotel, Newcastl...
- Jambone @ The Sage Gateshead. Sunday 5th December
- Phoebe Legreme
- Mike Gilby Funeral Arrangements
- What Did You Do In The War Daddy?
- Jazz Café and Old Man Crombie Just keep Rolling (a...
- Andy's Anecdotes
- No Rendezvous @ The Piper Tonight.
- Jools Holland @ The City Hall, Newcastle.
- CD Review: Red Hot Mama by The Rhythm Boys featuri...
- Ig Henneman's Kindred Spirits @ Gateshead Old Town...
- Merry Christmas From Ashington.
- Tonight At Nine - BBC4
- A Wikileak!
- Sinatra, Chuck and Jazz Journal
- New Orleans Heat - CHILLED!
- Preview: Jazz North East presents:IG HENNEMAN’S KI...
- Goodbye Mike Gilby
- Farewell Blues for Jazz @ The Exchange
- The Show (Snow) Must Go On. Jazz Esquires at The P...
- MAINE STREET hit by weather too.
- R.I.P Monty Sunshine
- SAGE JAZZ FESTIVAL NEWS FLASH!
- ▼ December ( 78 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)