Bebop Spoken There
Roland Kirk: "[On playing 3 horns at once] There might be some guy out in the woods somewhere who we never heard of who did it before me. I do know I'm the first to bring it to the public''- (Down Beat May 18, 1967).
Diana Krall: "I'll come into the gig for the soundcheck, and guys will ask, 'Where's the piano player?' They don't realise I'm both" - (Down Beat May 1995).
Today Saturday October 1
Kevin Grenfell's Jazz Giants - St. Augustine's Centre, Larchfield Tce., Darlington DL3 7TG. 12:330pm. £10.
Play Jazz Workshop w. Asaf Sirkis - Sage Gateshead. 2pm. £20 (£18 Jazz Coop shareholders).
Sirkis/Bialas Quartet - The Globe, 11 Railway St., Newcastle NE4 7AD. 8:00pm. £15. Asaf Sirkis (percussion), Sylwia Bialas (vocals), Frank Harrison (piano), Kevin Glasgow (bass).
Rendezvous Jazz - The Red Lion, 1 Front St., Earsdon NE25 9JU. 8:30pm. £3. NOTE CHANGE OF VENUE FOR THIS MONTH ONLY.
Sinatra & Friends Holographic Concert - Whitley Bay Playhouse. 7:30pm. £22.00. (£20.00.concs.). Live performance plus AV technology.
Mia Webb/Roy Willis - New Ship Inn, 403 Sunderland Rd., Cleadon NE34 8DG. 7pm. Free.
Somethin' Blue - Mercure Hotel, 9-12 Priestgate, Darlington DL1 1NW. 7:30pm. Free.
Peter Gilligan (solo piano) - Cherry Tree Restaurant, 9 Osborne Rd., Jesmond, Newcastle. 7:30pm. No cover charge.
Ruth Lambert/Alan Law - Redwood Bar, Vermont Hotel, Castle Garth, Newcastle NE1 1RQ. Free 7.pm 0191 2331010.
To the best of our knowledge, details of the above events are correct but may be subject to alteration.
Monday, February 01, 2010
Andrea Pattinson Quintet @ The Cherry Tree.
- ► 2016 ( 730 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- Claude Werner Quartet - Splinter @ The Bridge
- More on Stepneys Tuesday Mar. 2.
- Anybody looking for a drummer?
- The Sage Gateshead Jazz Festival Preview - Voice o...
- The Spice of Life
- Ian Carr - Celebration of a life in music. Queen E...
- Whatever Next?
- Jazz Aristocracy @ The Cherry Tree
- Soliloquy by Savash Saka - In Memoriam
- Mark Williams Trio.
- HOLD THE FRONT PAGE! The Herald-Tribune will want ...
- WJRK @ Trinity Church, Gosforth.
- Beatles To Bowie Exhibition
- Sage Gateshead Jazz Festival 2010 Preview - The St...
- Maine Street Jazzmen @ Rosie Malone's
- Benny's Last Goodbye
- Plenty New Under the Sun (Ra)
- Farewell Jake Hanna
- Get Me To Debenhams on Time
- It Never Rains But...
- Happy Chinese New Year
- Zoe Gilby Quintet - Splinter @ The Bridge.
- Two Photography Exhibitions in Newcastle
- St Valentine's Day Double Diva Delight Tonight.
- Another lyric.
- Ian Carr Concert Update
- Radio 3 Sees The Light
- An Excellent Show But... Sinatra Live @ The Sands ...
- New release from Tommy Whittle.
- Maine Street Jazzmen @ Rosie's
- Alan Glen Trio Take it to the Bridge One More Time...
- Milestones Jazz Club - The steady beacon which shi...
- Tonight @ The Chilli
- The River City Story by Gordon Solomon.
- Graham Hardy Quartet @ The Cherry Tree Restaurant ...
- Tonight's Tasty Offerings.
- Extreme Pleasures From Extreme Measures - Splinter...
- It's Worth Taking Extreme Measures to Hear Extreme...
- R.I.P. SIR JOHN DANKWORTH
- (Even) Better Than the Bridge! PAUL EDIS SEXTET – ...
- John Hallam & The Roly Veitch Quartet @ The Savill...
- Rosemary Squires Cancer Appeal Show
- Here There and Everywhere.
- River City Jazzmen R.I.P.
- Maureen Hall & Rendezvous Jazz @ Ashington Jazz Cl...
- Customs House Big Band. Open Rehearsal @ New Cro...
- Alyn Cosker Quartet - a Jazz North East Presentati...
- Tonight's The Night
- Andrea Pattinson Quintet @ The Cherry Tree.
- Friday February 5th: John Hallam with the Roly Vei...
- Complete Discs To Die For
- ▼ February ( 52 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)