Bebop Spoken There
John Tynan: "Go ahead, call me reactionary. I happen to object to the musical nonsense being peddled in the name of jazz by John Coltrane and his acolyte Eric Dolphy." - (Downbeat November 22, 1961).
McCoy Tyner: "If anyone want to know how the three of us - Elvin, Jimmy and me - felt about John [Coltrane], listen to the music and you can hear the love and respect we had for each other. The music can really speak more than any of us." - (Melody Maker, August 19, 1967).
Today Wednesday April 26
Friday, July 03, 2009
Mama Mia & Broadway Melody - Jazz @ The Fell
- ► 2016 ( 990 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- Marshall Walker R.I.P.
- Herbie Rides Again. New venue for Maine Street Jaz...
- Chamber Jazz @ Blaydon - The Roly Veitch Trio
- Chilli Jam
- The Jazz Esquires @ The Porthole.
- George Russell - Please don't take my sunshine awa...
- George Russell R.I.P.
- Brandon Allen Quintet @ The Cluny.
- Marshall Remembered at Corner House
- Update on Claude Werner Quartet
- Manchester Jazz Festival. Report by Ten Pressed Me...
- Discs to die for from Tom Shearer
- Gerry Mulligan Concert Band - "Live at the Village...
- United Breaks Guitars
- Madeleine Peyroux
- Tyne Soundings Live @ The Sage. Thursday 23rd July...
- Tyne Soundings Live - The 9:00 performance.
- Rik Walton's Two Kinds of Music - Washington Arts ...
- "The Majesties of the Blues" - Ellington/Marsalis ...
- It sure wasn't no pickpocket...
- Take It To The Bridge & Friends @ The Chilli.
- Press Release from John Taylor ASHINGTON JAZZ CLUB...
- USA Vintage Programmes
- Listen to this
- Heritage Hall Stompers @ Central Park (Gosforth).
- Good Rockin' Tonight - Mo Scott Band @ The Magnesi...
- Discs to Die For from Peter Hopkins.
- Sweet & Hot Orchestra @ The Discovery Museum, Newc...
- Downbeat - July Edition
- Neilsound MySpace Blog
- Issie Barratt with Voice of the North Jazz Orchest...
- More 'Discs To Die For' - Angela's choice..
- Maine Street Jazzmen @ Rosie Malone's South Shield...
- Andy Sheppard to play historic Lanercost Priory
- Alan Glen Trio - excellent as ever.
- Happy Birthday John Taylor
- Rainy Days and Tuesdays Always Get Me Down
- R.I.P Jimmy Forsythe
- A Vieux Carre Vignette @ The Corner House. July 14...
- Zoe Gilby Quartet @The Georgian Theatre, Stockton
- Mouth of the Tyne Festival - day 2. "I Fall in Lov...
- Jazz Orchestra in an Afternoon - The Sage, Gateshe...
- Cool Cat Blues @ Morden Tower. July 10th.
- The Other Side of Roly Veitch
- Angela's Alley
- Bob Caswell/Paul Gamblin /Jeremy McMurray Trio - B...
- River City Jazzmen @ Ashington Jazz Club.
- Take It To The Bridge - Chilli Arms.
- Thad Jones-Mel Lewis on YouTube
- Mouth of the Tyne Festival
- Lennie Niehaus
- Frank Reeve - Poetry and Jazz: Morden Tower Friday...
- Vieux Carré Jazzmen @ The Corner House
- Whitley Bay Jazz Festival Update
- Tom - Mix Rides Again
- Partying @ The Piper. Maureen Hall & Rendezvous Ja...
- Tom-Mix @ Side Café, Newcastle.
- NEWS FLASH! River City Jazzmen end Jesmond residen...
- Mama Mia & Broadway Melody - Jazz @ The Fell
- York Update
- Cookin' @ The Chilli w. Take It To The Bridge
- Love is like a Double Bass
- Nina Ferro @ The Spice of Life
- "Tina May @ The Green Man, London" - as seen and h...
- ▼ July ( 64 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)