Bebop Spoken There
Roland Kirk: "[On playing 3 horns at once] There might be some guy out in the woods somewhere who we never heard of who did it before me. I do know I'm the first to bring it to the public''- (Down Beat May 18, 1967).
Diana Krall: "I'll come into the gig for the soundcheck, and guys will ask, 'Where's the piano player?' They don't realise I'm both" - (Down Beat May 1995).
Today Saturday October 1
Kevin Grenfell's Jazz Giants - St. Augustine's Centre, Larchfield Tce., Darlington DL3 7TG. 12:330pm. £10.
Play Jazz Workshop w. Asaf Sirkis - Sage Gateshead. 2pm. £20 (£18 Jazz Coop shareholders).
Sirkis/Bialas Quartet - The Globe, 11 Railway St., Newcastle NE4 7AD. 8:00pm. £15. Asaf Sirkis (percussion), Sylwia Bialas (vocals), Frank Harrison (piano), Kevin Glasgow (bass).
Rendezvous Jazz - The Red Lion, 1 Front St., Earsdon NE25 9JU. 8:30pm. £3. NOTE CHANGE OF VENUE FOR THIS MONTH ONLY.
Sinatra & Friends Holographic Concert - Whitley Bay Playhouse. 7:30pm. £22.00. (£20.00.concs.). Live performance plus AV technology.
Mia Webb/Roy Willis - New Ship Inn, 403 Sunderland Rd., Cleadon NE34 8DG. 7pm. Free.
Somethin' Blue - Mercure Hotel, 9-12 Priestgate, Darlington DL1 1NW. 7:30pm. Free.
Peter Gilligan (solo piano) - Cherry Tree Restaurant, 9 Osborne Rd., Jesmond, Newcastle. 7:30pm. No cover charge.
Ruth Lambert/Alan Law - Redwood Bar, Vermont Hotel, Castle Garth, Newcastle NE1 1RQ. Free 7.pm 0191 2331010.
To the best of our knowledge, details of the above events are correct but may be subject to alteration.
Wednesday, October 29, 2008
Ruth Lambert Trio - Egypt Cottage, Newcastle
- ► 2016 ( 730 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
- Autumn in Old York - by Liz
- Pete Churchill Trio - King's Hall, Newcastle Uni.
- Cross at Blackwell
- Ruth Lambert Trio - Egypt Cottage, Newcastle
- Graeme Wilson and Paul Edis Trio at the Side Café
- Bollywood to Barbados via Basin Street - The Grand...
- STT + GB + BH - ST + DN = PDG. The Sage Gateshead....
- NEWS FLASH! Stan Tracey ill.
- Bean and the Boys at Blaydon - The Swing Quintet.
- Suddenly It Jumped!
- Pat Thomas - Piano Masterclass at the Cluny. Repor...
- Dave McKenna R.I.P
- Mia Webb at Cullercoats Tomorrow (Wed. 22 October....
- Alan Glen Trio at the Side Café
- Anita O'Day The Life of a Jazz Singer
- Marsden Jazz Festival by Our Man John Taylor
- The New Squadronaires. Customs House South Shields...
- William Claxton Lives!
- Neal Hefti, Composer, Is Dead at 85 - Obituary (Ob...
- Jazz At The Chilharmonic "The Closer".
- Jazz At The Chilharmonic - "The Opener"
- William Claxton R.I.P
- Nick Pride and The Pimptones - Side Café
- On The Town
- Music to Savage the Charmed Breast. Polar Bear/Wil...
- Moonlight in Vermont
- Sunday Parking by Liz
- Bebop Spoken Here
- Pearls of Wisdom from the Driver of the Year (Not)...
- Roll Over Socrates; Tell Plato The News. Vasilis X...
- Chilling Out
- Get Your Kicks On The John Reid Road
- Arne Domnerus R.I.P
- I Do Like to Be Beside The Seaside by John Taylor
- Quote: Red Norvo
- Be Aware of Greeks Blowing Riffs
- Pat Crumly R.I.P.
- Another Gem From The Archives of Tradderie
- Tom Dibb Trio and Lauren Housley at Side Café
- Long Ago But not Far Away
- And All That Alnwick Jazz
- John Harle on Radio 3 - Russell Corbett
- Refurbishment at Corner House - Brian Bennett
- The French Connection
- Beatrice changes by Bill M
- Take It To The Bridge at the Chillingham
- "Fraud" at The Cluny by Roly Veitch
- Gig Updates
- ▼ October ( 50 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)