Bebop Spoken There
Kenny Davern (From an earlier conversation with Brian Peerless): "Louis Armstrong can say something with one note, but there are others who can take an hour to rev up and wind up with a fart in a bathtub" – (Jazz Journal March 2007).
Harold Beckett: "I'm one of those people who think if you're going to play a piece of music you should give your all to that piece of music." – (Jazz Journal February 2007.
Today Saturday July 23
Summertyne Americana Festival 2016 - Sage Gateshead. 12 noon till late. Many events free. Follow link.
Joel Byrne McCullough (solo guitar) - Cherry Tree Restaurant, 9 Osborne Rd., Jesmond, Newcastle. 7:30pm. No cover charge.
Zoe Gilby/Mark Williams - Redwood Bar, Vermont Hotel, Castle Garth, Newcastle NE1 1RQ. Free 7.pm 0191 2331010.
Blue Jazz Quintet - Globe Jazz Bar, 11 Railway St., Newcastle NE4 7AD. 8pm. £5.
To the best of our knowledge, details of the above events are correct but may be subject to alteration.
Sunday, July 24, 2016
Saturday, July 23, 2016
Friday, July 22, 2016
Thursday, July 21, 2016
Wednesday, July 20, 2016
- CD Review: Sundae + Mr. Goessl - Makes my Heart Sw...
- Jazz Beat info required
- Mike and Ruthy Band - Summertyne Americana Festiva...
- Windborne - Summertyne Americana Festival 2016 @ S...
- Summertyne Americana July 22
- CD Review: Jazz-Philosophy Fusion - Continuum Of S...
- Fly me to Roker…
- R.I.P. Claude Williamson (1926 - 2016)
- CD Review: Lefteris Kordis – Mediterrana (Goddess ...
- Tweed River Jazz Band @ Maguire's, Berwick upon Tw...
- Jazz Café Jam Session. July 19
- NEW VIDEO: Matt Anderson Quartet – Iris (St. Mark’...
- Rahsaan, Soft Machine and Mr Alan Glen
- CD Review: Anthony E. Nelson - Swift to Hear, Slow...
- Gerry Richardson's Big Idea @ Hoochie Coochie - Ju...
- CD Review:Lauren Bush - All My Treasures.
- Early Bird Band & Gala Big Band @ St. Cuthbert's C...
- Gerry Richardson Quartet @ Gala Theatre, Durham - ...
- CD Review: Sound Underground - Quiet Spaces
- Zhenya Strigalev Trio @ The Globe Jazz Bar, Newcas...
- Tonight (Friday July 15) @ The Globe Jazz Bar, New...
- The Hughie Aitchison Story Continued....
- MANJULA : A Masala Festival gig @ The Black Swan, ...
- CD Review: Alison Lewis - Seven
- Wonderful, Wonderful Wigan!
- The Hughie Aitchison Story on Record. Tracks 2-7 +...
- CD Review: Joe Policastro Trio - POPS!
- The Hughie Aitchison Story on Record. Tracks 1 and...
- Hughie Aitchison – A Tyneside Jazz Trumpet Player
- Hoochie Coochie This Sunday (July 17)
- JNE/Splinter @ The Bridge, Newcastle. - MoHaWi/Squ...
- Jazz In The Afternoon - Crescent Club, Cullercoats...
- The Reunion @ Blaydon Jazz Club. July 10
- Durham Round-up
- Black is the Color of my Voice - Customs House, So...
- CD Review: Os Clavelitos (Little Carnations) - Arr...
- Emma Fisk & James Birkett @ The Jazz Café - July 8...
- Black is the Colour of my Voice
- Book Preview - Go Slow: The Life of Julie London.
- CD Review: Alex Webb & The Copasetics - Call Me Lu...
- RIP Don Friedman
- ODJB in Jarrow!
- Exhilarating contemporary jazz coming up at The Gl...
- Jazz Café Jam Session - July 5.
- Darlington’s full house for NYJO
- The Education Of Soweto Kinch
- Burton Agnes Jazz and Blues Festival 1/2/3 July 20...
- Zoe for London Jazz Festival.
- John Pope Quintet @ The Bridge Hotel July 3 - A Tr...
- CD Review: Casey Golden Trio - Miniature
- NARC Festival @ Cluny 2 - July 2.
- Brass: Durham International Festival
- Mouth of the Tyne Festival This Coming Weekend (Th...
- CD Review: Jasper Høiby – Fellow Creatures
- Steve Glendinning Quartet @ The Globe - July 2.
- John Martin’s Hidden Notes @ The Jazz Café. July 1...
- Tonight @ The Globe (July 2)
- CD Review: Corey Kendrick Trio - Rootless
- CD Review: Tori Freestone - El Barranco
- ▼ July ( 59 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Posting a Comment
Posting a comment.
1) Click on comments (at the foot of the posting.).
2) In the window that appears Click on...O Name/URL.
3) Type your name in the box (URL is optional).
4) Click on Publish your comment..
5) Type the jumbled word verification if asked.
Alternatively, email me - email@example.com.