Bebop Spoken There
Alan Luff: “The general view is that Ella’s songbook recordings are the supreme exemplars of sophistication, fine diction and creative voice in the wide field of popular music.” – (Jazz Journal May 2017).
Steve Voce: “Most of us have been crashed into by cretins who walk along the road absorbed in the screens of their mobile phones.” – (Jazz Journal May 2017).
Today Tuesday May 23
Saturday, April 08, 2017
GIJF: The (almost) Complete Works.
Thank you to Ann, Russell, Steve T, Steve H, Ken Drew, Hugh C and everyone else who chipped in.
It was quite a weekend!
Laura Jurd's Dinosaur & Daniel Herskedal.
Clare Teal & her Hollywood Orchestra.
Binker & Moses.
Dean Stockdale Trio.
Three Nations Under One Groove.
ICP & Garibaldi Plop Orchestra.
Ronnie Scott's All Stars.
GoGo Penguin & Shobaleader.
All About the Concourse.
Sulzmann/Iles duo/Trish Clowes 'My Iris' Quartet.
Jambone w. Zoe Gilby & Matt Anderson.
Jazz Africa/Jazz Cuba.
Alan Broadbent & Georgia Mancio Songbook Quartet.
Paul Edis (solo piano).
John Pope Quintet.
Family Jazz All Stars w. Zoe Gilby.
Thomasz Stanko Quartet.
Before and After.
- International Jazz Day isn't Local Metro Day!
- Blog Charts
- All That Jazz - In Hong Kong
- CD Review: Mark Lewandowski - Waller.
- It's All Happening in Hexham
- International Jazz Day and Globe Anniversary.The G...
- Playtime Collective @ The Jazz Cafe – March 25
- CD Review: Diana Krall - Turn Up The Quiet.
- Remembering Ella
- Ella 100
- CD Review: Louis Sclavis, Dominique Pifarely and ...
- Preview: Darlington Jazz Festival 2017
- Hot Jazz and Blues at The Cumberland Arms - June 6...
- Under the Moon of Love? Ruth Lambert Quartet @ Ush...
- Patrice Williamson Celebrates the 100th Anniversar...
- Brian Molley Quartet @ The Globe, Newcastle - Apri...
- Art Invite
- More Phoenix Jazzmen
- CD Review: Jazzmain - Live at the Blue Lamp
- Jazz in the Afternoon @ Cullercoats Crescent Club ...
- Lickety Split @ Blaydon Jazz Club - April 16
- CD Review: Matt Holman - The Tenth Muse
- Forget New Orleans, it all began in Annfield Plain...
- Preview: Indigo Jazz Voices @ The Globe: Thursday ...
- Jazz Café Jam Session - April 18
- RIP Allan Holdsworth.
- Allan Holdsworth
- Faye MacCalman/John Pope Duo @ Jazz Café - April 1...
- CD Review: David Rees-Williams Trio - Classically ...
- Nicola Farnon Trio @ Gala Theatre, Durham - April ...
- Easter Early Birds @ The Jazz Café – April 15
- Paul Edis Sextet @ Gosforth Jazz Club - April 13
- CD Review: Freddie Gavita - Transient
- Emma Fisk and Paul Edis @ The Witham, Barnard Cast...
- New Saltburn venue for The Jazz Lads
- Carole Clegg and Speakeasy
- Alan Glen Trio @ The Globe - April 13
- RIP Stan Robinson (1936 - 2017)
- Blaydon Jazz Club goes Lickety Split!
- Take it to the Bridge @ The Globe - April 12
- Tomorrow Night (Thursday April 13) @ The Globe - A...
- CD Reviews: Frank Kohl Quartet – Rising Tide. Sand...
- The Eales Report - Doings down in Darlington & Dur...
- Big Bad Wolf @ Bridge Hotel, Newcastle. April 9. J...
- CD Review: Brian Molley Quartet - Colour and Movem...
- CD Review: Tomasz Stańko New York Quartet – Decemb...
- GIJF Day 3: Tomasz Stańko Quartet - Sage Gateshe...
- Edis & Wilson @ Café Monk - April 7
- CD Review: Peg Powler Band - Northern Lines
- CD Review: Brass Mask – Live
- GIJF: The (almost) Complete Works.
- Preview: Big Bad Wolf @ Bridge Hotel, Newcastle - ...
- GIJF Day 1: Dean Stockdale Trio @ Sage Gateshead -...
- GIJF Day 3:: Jazz Africa/Jazz Cuba @ Sage Gateshea...
- GIJF Day 2: Garibaldi Plop and The ICP Orchestra @...
- GIJF Day 1: Laura Jurd’s Dinosaur & Daniel Hersked...
- GIJF Day 3: Paul Edis (Solo piano) @ Sage Gateshea...
- GIJF Day 3:John Pope Quintet @ Sage Gateshead - Ap...
- Berklee Bound
- GIJF Day 3: Family Jazz All Stars with Zoë Gilby @...
- Jazz Café Jam Session - April 4.
- GIJF Day 2: Three Nations Under One Groove: NYJO, ...
- GIJF Day 2: Miles Mosley @ Sage Gateshead - April ...
- Caravan performed by Dylan & Alex Thompson, Ryan D...
- GIJF Day 1: Binker & Moses @ Sage Gateshead - Marc...
- Triptych @ The Lit & Phil. March 31
- GIJF: All About The Concourse
- GIJF Day 3 @ Sage Gateshead: Jambone with Zoe Gilb...
- Festival Fringing - April 2
- GIJF Day 3: Sulzmann/Iles Duo & Trish Clowes 'My I...
- GIJF Day 2: Double Bill: GoGo Penguin; Shobaleader...
- GIJF Day 3: Alan Broadbent & Georgia Mancio Songbo...
- GIJF Day 2 - Ronnie Scott's All Stars Present the ...
- GIJF Day 1 – Sage Gateshead: Clare Teal And Her Ho...
- Jonathan Silk’s Fragment Quartet @ The Jazz Cafe
- GIJF Day 1 - Before and After
- ▼ April ( 76 )
- ► 2016 ( 990 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)