Bebop Spoken There
Alan Luff: “The general view is that Ella’s songbook recordings are the supreme exemplars of sophistication, fine diction and creative voice in the wide field of popular music.” – (Jazz Journal May 2017).
Steve Voce: “Most of us have been crashed into by cretins who walk along the road absorbed in the screens of their mobile phones.” – (Jazz Journal May 2017).
Today Tuesday May 23
Monday, December 12, 2016
- In La La Land at the Tyneside
- The Glenn Miller Orchestra (Ray McVay, MD) @ Sage ...
- Bebop Spoken Here's Post of the Year.
- Lunchtime Jazz at the Lit and Phil – Spring 2017
- CD Review: Camilla George - Isang
- In the Mood for the Glenn Miller Story?
- Alphonse Mouzon (November 21, 1948 – December 25, ...
- King Bee @ Hoochie Coochie
- On the 12 gigs of '16...
- Vieux Carré Jazzmen News
- Memories of Jazz on a Sunday Afternoon. Part Two -...
- Memories of Jazz on a Sunday Afternoon. Part One -...
- Merry Christmas to Jazzers Everywhere.
- CD Review: Vasilis Xenopoulos & Paul Edis – A Narr...
- Jazz Coop Xmas Party 2016 @ The Globe, Newcastle -...
- Vintage CDs of 2016
- Lee Morgan Documentary.
- King Bee Xmas Party 2016 @ Hoochie Coochie - Decem...
- And the Beat Goes On @ Caedmon Hall, Gateshead – D...
- CD Review: Frank Kimbrough - Solstice
- Ten Favourite UK CDs of 2016
- No Smokin' Without Fire
- New Century Ragtime Orchestra @ Brunswick Methodis...
- George MacDonald & James Birkett with the Roly Vei...
- 'Let it Snow' - Claire Martin w. Northern Sinfonia...
- A Jazz Christmas Carol @ Ushaw College. Dec 17
- Strictly Smokin' Big Band @ Newcastle Arts Centre ...
- Up with the Larks @ The Lit & Phil. Dec 17
- Ruth Lambert & Alan Law @ The Jazz Café. Dec 16
- Christmas at the Black Swan with the Strictly Smok...
- Zoë Gilby Trio @ The Jazz Café. Dec 16
- Quiz & Quiche
- The Gala Big Band @ Durham Town Hall - December 15...
- Preview: Claire Martin w. Royal Northern Sinfonia ...
- Identify the Professors.
- CD Review: Peter Kavanaugh - Look For the Silver L...
- Simon Spillett gets the nod for 'Services to Jazz ...
- What the Dickens? A Jazz Christmas Carol!!!
- CD Review: Newport All Stars - Tribute to Duke.
- The Jazz North East Fluid Orchestra - a 50 years c...
- Cameron Vale @The Bridge - December 12
- Identity Crisis
- Budtet @ Prohibition Bar, Gateshead - December 11
- The Blue Jazz Quartet @ The Globe, December 10
- Preview: Jazz North East presents Schmazz with THE...
- Chillin’ with the Cello - Ayanna Witter-Johnson @ ...
- CD Review: New York Brass Band - Hardcore Horn
- McVay and the Swing Time Jivers coming to Sage Gat...
- Barber packs ‘em in at Sage Gateshead
- Emma Fisk and James Birkett @ St Cuthberts Church,...
- CD Review: Chicago Stompers - Sing...It's Good for...
- EP Review: Medeljazz Quartet - Yesternow.
- Alter Ego @ The Fox Inn, Hexham. Dec 6
- Jazz Café Jam Session - December 6
- Saturnalia Festival @ Sage Gateshead
- HTrio @ The Bridge Hotel, Newcastle - December 4
- RIP Herbert Hardesty
- Kathryn Williams & Anthony Kerr @ The Globe: Decem...
- Jazz is heading to Staindrop
- Preview: Indigo Jazz Voices @ The Globe: This Thur...
- Change of Venue
- CD Review: Chris Ingham Quartet - Dudley.
- Last of the jam…for this year
- Jambone @ St James’ & St Basil’s Church. Dec 2
- The Italian Job @ The Black Swan November 29
- CD Review: Leandro Cabral Trio - Alfa
- BABMUS return to Jazz Café
- Alter Ego @ Empty Shop, Durham - December 1
- Paul James Band w. Laura Adam 'Sisters of Swing' -...
- Line-Up Revealed For Gateshead International Jazz ...
- Sage Gateshead: Sisters of Swing, Barber and Major...
- CD Review: Andrea Claburn - Nightshade
- ▼ December ( 72 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)