Bebop Spoken There
Alan Luff: “The general view is that Ella’s songbook recordings are the supreme exemplars of sophistication, fine diction and creative voice in the wide field of popular music.” – (Jazz Journal May 2017).
Steve Voce: “Most of us have been crashed into by cretins who walk along the road absorbed in the screens of their mobile phones.” – (Jazz Journal May 2017).
Today Tuesday May 23
Thursday, December 31, 2015
Wednesday, December 30, 2015
Tuesday, December 29, 2015
Monday, December 28, 2015
Sunday, December 27, 2015
Saturday, December 26, 2015
Friday, December 25, 2015
Thursday, December 24, 2015
Wednesday, December 23, 2015
Tuesday, December 22, 2015
Monday, December 21, 2015
Derek Fleck (ten/clt); Brian Chester (keys/tmb); John Hallam (bs/sousa); Ollie Rillands (dms/vcl) + Miles Watson (tpt/vcl); John Broddle (vcl); Teresa Armstrong (vcl); Roy Gibson (keys).
(Review by Lance).
Panto party time at the Globe. Once again the Jazz Coop lured the band from the Theatre Royal's production of Dick Whittington to perform, and perform they did! The room was comfortably full with Coop members and Theatre Royalty all enjoying yet another Gig of the Year (in my eyes at least). Next year I think it will be easier to list those gigs that didn't fall into that category - so much good music has been played around the various venues.
Sunday, December 20, 2015
Saturday, December 19, 2015
Graham Justin – Trumpet; Damian Cook – Sax; Stuart Davies – Guitar; Greg Arrowsmith – Keys; Joe Britton – Bass; Ollie Boorman – Drums
Double Hat Trick for Summers - Strictly Smokin' Big Band @ Black Swan Arts Centre, Newcastle. Day One - Dec. 18
Friday, December 18, 2015
Thursday, December 17, 2015
Twice she has received touring support from Jazz Services and has performed with some of the UK top jazz musicians, including Jim Mullen Organ Trio, Dave Newton, Alan Barnes and Tony Faulkner.
Wednesday, December 16, 2015
Tuesday, December 15, 2015
Monday, December 14, 2015
I plugged this in last week's 'Alert', but we've all got lots to think about in the run up to Xmas, so a reminder wouldn't go amiss. In fact it would be remiss to miss it!
Sunday, December 13, 2015
Euan Burton, who played his amazing fold away double bass brilliantly, has assembled an excellent quartet. Tom Gibbs, seen recently with Brian Molley at the Globe, exemplary on piano, Adam Jackson, sublime on alto sax and Alyn Cosker provided precocious percussion at the kit.
Two sets of original music made all the more enjoyable by Euan's explanations of their meaning or what they were meant to evoke.
Saturday, December 12, 2015
Friday, December 11, 2015
PS: 10 minutes!
- ► 2016 ( 990 )
- The Pocket Jazz Orchestra @ The Ship, Redmarshall ...
- SSBB Review Required
- CD Review: Peter Kavanaugh - Whisper Not
- December in the Rain - The "Coasters", Dec. 30
- Splash the Jazz Cash this New Year’s Eve
- The Glenn Miller Orchestra (Ray McVay, MD) @ Sage ...
- CD Review: John Abercrombie - The First Quartet
- CD Review: Alexis Cairns – This is New to Me
- Pete Kelly's Blues
- On the Down Beat
- CD Review: Blind Monk Trio – coulrophobia
- A full and varied programme for January at the Glo...
- Joanna in New York
- 2016 Centenaries
- Shavian humour
- Daryl Sherman in UK next month
- Newcastle Jazz Band Ball 1963
- King Bee @ Hoochie Coochie - Dec. 23
- The Christmas Song - Vasilis Xenopoulos and Paul E...
- Boys of Brass @ Hoochie Coochie - Dec. 22
- CD Review: Roly Veitch - Wherever Ye Gan
- All the Right Moves - Square One Take It to the Ne...
- Jazz in the Afternoon Xmas Party - Crescent Club, ...
- The BB Quartet with James Birkett @ Blaydon Jazz C...
- CD Review: The Count Basie Orchestra – A Very Swin...
- Dirk Washington & The Groove Cats @ The Globe Jazz...
- Strictly Smokin’ Big Band @ The Black Swan – Dec 1...
- Jazz Party this Sunday (Dec. 20) @ The Globe Jazz ...
- Frank & Laura Radio
- Matt Anderson & Aubin Vanns @ The Jazz Café – Dec ...
- Double Hat Trick for Summers - Strictly Smokin' Bi...
- Be Warned
- Led Bib @ The Jazz Café Dec. 16
- SSBB Tonight and Tomorrow Night!
- ROBERTO FONSECA JOINS GATESHEAD INTERNATIONAL JAZZ...
- Wigan Festival and other Northern News
- York Music Forum Jazz Orchestra
- Hugh's Choice
- Gala Theatre, Durham – Lunchtime Gigs Spring 2016
- Lunchtime Jazz at the Literary and Philosophical S...
- 2015 British Jazz Awards
- Jazz Café Jam Session - Dec. 15
- SHIVER/D'Silva, Pope & Alderson @ Bridge Hotel, Ne...
- Sing the Bells - the Honeybirds
- Jazz North East presents Schmazz, with LED BIB
- CD Review: Norbert Kogging - Sketches of Ordinary ...
- The Misterioso Monk @ The Jazz Café – Dec 11
- Euan Burton Quartet @ The Globe - Dec. 12
- An Englishman in Love in LA
- The Longest Goodbye
- CD Review: Mads Mathias - Free Falling.
- Friday Night is Music Night
- Graeme Wilson Quartet @ The Lit & Phil – Dec 11
- The Tyne Valley Big Band & Santa’s Shoppers @ Eldo...
- Pilgrim St. Set in Party Mood @ Hoochie coochie - ...
- Ruth Lambert Trio @ Brunswick Methodist Church – D...
- Things Ain't What They Used to be!
- All God's Chillun' ...
- Joe Morris Quartet @ The Bridge Hotel, Newcastle -...
- Kenny G For Sage Gateshead!
- Bradley Johnston @ Sage Gateshead – Dec 8
- DB Project @ the Jazz Café - Dec. 8
- Jazz Co-op @ the Globe: Preview: Indigo Voices Sin...
- CD Review: Svein Rikard Mathisen - Copenhagen Diar...
- New Century Ragtime Orchestra @ The Black Bull – D...
- Andy Hudson Remembers a Night with Dave Brubeck an...
- CD(s) of the Year
- Will Todd's Mass in Blue @ Newcastle City Centre
- CD Review: Luca Stoll Quartet - Mono
- Folk meets Jazz @ The Globe: December 3
- CD Review: Jazz in the Movies - Kiss Kiss Bang Ban...
- Adam Fairhall + Markov Chain @ The Lit and Phil - ...
- Roly Veitch was right!
- My Gigs of the Year
- Soprano Summit Mark 2?
- Russell's Choices - Now Let's Have Yours!
- Gateshead Welcomes Glenn Miller
- Jazz Café Jam Session - Dec. 1
- CD Review: Paul Edis – Just Like Me/Not Like Me
- Jazz Co-op @ The Globe: Folk Meets Jazz: All Chang...
- Party on down to the Sandpiper
- Lee Gibson
- ▼ December ( 82 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)