Bebop Spoken There
Alan Luff: “The general view is that Ella’s songbook recordings are the supreme exemplars of sophistication, fine diction and creative voice in the wide field of popular music.” – (Jazz Journal May 2017).
Steve Voce: “Most of us have been crashed into by cretins who walk along the road absorbed in the screens of their mobile phones.” – (Jazz Journal May 2017).
Today Tuesday May 23
Tuesday, August 27, 2013
Ronnie Scott's Hoarding Tribute
- ► 2016 ( 990 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- The Bill Evans/Scott LaFaro Songbook. Cadogan Hall...
- Henchmen Sextet @ Sage Gateshead August 30
- Newcastle's Loss London's Gain
- More Newcastle Big Band Memorabilia
- Tina May & Nikki Iles “Raising the Bar” @ Highgate...
- CD Review: Charles Evans – Subliminal Leaps
- CD Review: Stefano Bollani/Hamilton de Holanda - O...
- Prom 62: Django Bates - A celebration of Charlie P...
- Steve Swallow Quintet Victoria Hall , Geneva. Jul...
- Kenny Barron Platinum Trio @ the Cour De L' Hotel-...
- CD Review: Carla Bley/Andy Sheppard/Steve Swallow ...
- Ronnie Scott's Hoarding Tribute
- Liverpool Venue to reopen.
- CD Review: FRED FRIED and CORE - Core Bacharach
- High Bridge Quarter Bank Holiday Special!
- The Great American Songbook -
- CD Review: Ken Peplowski - Maybe September.
- Lyrics and Rhymes
- CD Review: Cruz control - Le Comment du pOurqÙoi?
- Jazz at the Proms and More
- Take it to the Bridge (second set) @ The Chillingh...
- The Come Back Kid!
- You Win Some - You Lose Some!
- CD Review: Various - Salsa De La Bahia Vol. One
- Guest Musicians at Ned's
- LP Review: Back Door - BBC 'In Concert'
- New Mag on the Block
- Vieux Carré Jazzmen @ The Millstone, South Gosfort...
- CD Review: Ali Ryerson's Jazz Flute Big Band - Gam...
- Death of an Icon - RIP Marian McPartland OBE.
- RIP Elmore Leonard
- CD Review: Jacqui Dankworth - Live To Love
- Next Month at Blaydon
- RIP Cedar Walton.
- GRAPHIC SCORES Celebrating the art of music Featur...
- LP Review: Michael Garrick Sextet - Prelude to Hea...
- Polly Gibbons & The James Pearson Trio @ Cadogan H...
- Ruth Lambert Trio w. Graham Hardy @ Blaydon Jazz C...
- Strictly Smokin' Big Band @ Tyne Bar
- Ray Dales w. James Harrison Trio @ Sage Gateshead....
- Balboa Gathering 2013 Latest
- Flap! @ Hoochie Coochie August 15.
- CD Review: Anya Malkiel – From the Heart
- Work NOT Play
- Richmond (North Yorkshire) Jazz Festival September...
- Jazz at the National Centre for Early Music (NCEM)...
- Jazz Co-op Launches Program 0f Music Workshops.
- Reminder From Roly
- CD Review: Tom Kennedy – Just Play
- CD Review: Claudia Morris: Secret Love: A Celebrat...
- Phoenix From The Ashes - Flap! @ Hoochie this Thur...
- RIP Eydie Gormé
- CD Review: Larry Corban - The Circle Starts Here.
- Katherine Stone Quartet/Dean Stockdale Trio @ Ashi...
- Small Change : The Newcastle Vintage Shop (From F/...
- Steve Lockwood @ JG Windows. August 10
- King Bee @ Hoochie Coochie. August 9.
- Sage Gateshead Special Guest Revealed
- Berry Yaneza's Funeral
- Star Struck Off!
- Tom Harrison to tour Ireland with David Lyttle
- CD Review: Mark Masters Ensemble - Everything You ...
- The Buck Starts Here
- Graham Hardy Trio @ Star Inn, Newcastle. August 7....
- Mississippi Dreamboats to launch new CD.
- CD Review: Mike Gibbs + Twelve Play Gil Evans
- More Memories of Sheila from Brian Bennett.
- CD Review: James Zoller - It's All Good People
- RIP George Duke
- Chilli cancelled this week.
- Peter Volpe on Peter Fielding.
- Hotline from Hong Kong
- Marko/Paulo Quartet @ Number 28 August 2
- RIP Sheila Giles
- Mick Shoulder Quintet @ Lit and Phil August 1.
- Jazz Cafe Refugees, The Star, July 31, The Blue Ja...
- ▼ August ( 76 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)