Bebop Spoken There
Howard Riley: “When I started out playing jazz back in the late 50s, early 60s, if you wanted a gig you had to learn some standards.” – (Jazz Journal April 2017)
Eric Harland: “I love swing and I’m always going to swing but I also know that you can take a hip-hop groove and improvise with that just like you would with a swing pattern.” – (Jazz Journal April 2017)
Today Wednesday April 26
Friday, May 31, 2013
Thursday, May 30, 2013
Wednesday, May 29, 2013
Mulgrew Miller died May 29, 2013, aged 57.
(Apologies for confusion re previous post now withdrawn.)
Tuesday, May 28, 2013
Monday, May 27, 2013
He assures me the incident was not alcohol related.
Sunday, May 26, 2013
Claire Martin, Joe Stilgoe, Mark McGann, Northern Sinfonia Pay Tribute to Lennon and McCartney @ Sage Gateshead.
Thanks to Russell for drawing this to our attention.
Rest In Peace.
Saturday, May 25, 2013
Friday, May 24, 2013
Thursday, May 23, 2013
(Review by Lance/Photos by James Sebright Photography).
Wednesday, May 22, 2013
(Review by Lance).
Tuesday, May 21, 2013
(Report by Lance)
It was an emotional occasion - how could it be anything else? A woman so vibrant and caring taken so tragically from us. It was a fitting service of thanksgiving for the life of Heather Jane Arthur.
Those in attendance represented the many facets of Heather's interests including, of course, the north east jazz world.
Monday, May 20, 2013
Sunday, May 19, 2013
For tickets visit: Wegottickets
Saturday, May 18, 2013
Friday, May 17, 2013
Thursday, May 16, 2013
Wednesday, May 15, 2013
(Review by Lance)
Tuesday, May 14, 2013
(Review by Lance).
In 1984 Newcastle based jazz trumpeter and vocalist Mike Durham formed his band the West Jesmond Rhythm Kings specifically to play the classic hot jazz of the 1920s. His band was totally dedicated to this unique repertoire, performing songs well known and obscure (invariably including the verse) all played with neat, polished and sometimes quite complex arrangements often in various contrasting sections and including breaks, harmonised passages, accented rhythmic figures, clever intros and endings, in fact all the 'tricks of the trade' used in the music of that era. This was no run of the mill, busking jazz band. The ensemble soon built a considerable reputation leading to jazz club and festival gigs all over the UK, abroad in France, Italy, Holland, Spain, Ireland and twice to the Chicago area of the USA.
Monday, May 13, 2013
(Review by Lance)
Sunday, May 12, 2013
Saturday, May 11, 2013
Friday, May 10, 2013
20:30 Dave Brubeck Quartet. A Jazz 625 broadcast from 1960s.
21:00 Jazz Divas. (Repeated 0100)
22:00 Jazz Divas Gold. (Repeated 0200)
23:00 Jazz Piano Gold.
00:00 Sonny Rollins. (Repeated 0300).
Link for more details.
Truly a feast although, personally, I'd prefer it if they were shown nightly or even weekly rather than in one marathon sitting. I suppose Catch-up is the answer here.
Thursday, May 09, 2013
Wednesday, May 08, 2013
Tuesday, May 07, 2013
The landlord, Jim has decided it's finally time to retire. I am sure everyone will wish to thank him for the many years he has supported the local music scene.
Monday, May 06, 2013
Sunday, May 05, 2013
(Review and photo by Peter S. )
- ► 2016 ( 990 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- 10 Favourite Jazz Autobiographies
- CD Review: Spiritual Jazz Vol 4 - Americans in Eur...
- CD Launch. Dan Nicholls - Ruins. The Vortex June 1...
- Bennett Bulletin (Not Tony - the other one).
- Pete Gilligan and Friends/Zoe Gilby @ Hoochie Cooc...
- Last Night at Hoochie Tonight
- CUSP @ The Cluny. May 28, 2013
- Film Review ‘Beware of Mr Baker’ Director Jay Bulg...
- Hannabiell @ The Star Inn, Newcastle.
- Otriad @ Bridge Hotel, Newcastle. May 26 , 2013
- RIP Mulgrew Miller.
- CD Review: Arne Jansen – The Sleep of Reason, Ode ...
- CD Review: Ira Wiggins - When Freedom Swings.
- CD Review: Moss Project: What Do You See When You ...
- Redemption Jazz
- Claire Martin, Joe Stilgoe, Mark McGann, Northern ...
- Thinking Allowed - A History of Live Music from th...
- James Birkett & Bradley Johnston @ Sage Gateshead....
- RIP Ed Shaughnessy.
- CD Review: Keith Jarrett/Gary Peacock/Jack DeJohne...
- CD Review: Yoron Israel - Visions: The Music of St...
- Tonight on BBC4
- Lucian Ban & Mat Maneri @ The Recital Room, Newcas...
- Dropping Bombs @ Hoochie Coochie May 23.
- CD Review: Worldservice Project – Fire in a Pet Sh...
- Slowlight Quartet @ The Star Inn, Westgate Rd., Ne...
- SAGE GATESHEAD UNVEILS PATRONS SUPPORTING FUNDRAIS...
- New Band in the North East.
- CD Review: Man Overboard - All Hands on Deck
- Farewell Heather Jane Arthur
- Rebecca Parris Tells it Like it is (on F/b)
- Preview: Two of us: Celebrating the Lennon and McC...
- Lewis West @ The Recital Room, Newcastle Universit...
- Ukulele River Girl Song by Gordon F. Phillips.
- Curtis Stigers @ Sage Gateshead
- CD Review: Raquel Cepeda - I'm Confessin'
- Harambee Pasadia North East Saturday 25th to Sund...
- When in Shields Do as the Romans Do!!
- Timecraft Tour Details
- Soul Snippets
- Glasgow Jazz Festival June 19 - June 27.
- Soweto's Stolen Sax Surfaces
- Lindsay Hannon Plus Plus @ Hoochie Coochie May 16....
- Heather Arthur Funeral.
- Mike Papapavlou’s Finals Recital @ Newcastle Unive...
- Chop Sticks for Zoe
- Daryl Sherman
- Theo Jackson
- Mike Papapavlou's Degree Finals Recital - Details
- Paul Gowland Quartet @ The Star Inn. May 15.
- CD Review: World Behind Your Eyes: Lynn Jolicoeur ...
- CD Review: Deborah Latz - Fig Tree.
- CD Review: Pat Metheny – Tap: John Zorn’s Book of ...
- CD Review: Laszlo Gardony - Clarity
- Video from Bute by John Taylor.
- Lewis Watson Quartet @ The Cherry Tree May 13.
- WJRK – 1984 to 2013
- Claire’s Big Apple warm up gigs ahead of Sage gig
- Miles Ahead by BOP @ Tyne Theatre May 5, 2013
- Maine Street Jazzmen @ Seaton Sluice & District So...
- Gabriel Mit Drei @ Bridge Hotel, Newcastle May 12....
- The Jazzman - Keith Crombie Documentary
- CD Review: Tatterdemalion Rachel Musson/Mark Sande...
- Peter Ninnim -"New kid on the block"
- Watson Walker Edis @ The Lit & Phil. May 10, 2013
- Leo Harwood Memorabilia
- Big Bear Stompers @ Customs House South Shields Ma...
- Stravena @ Hoochie Coochie 8/5/13
- BBC 4 Tonight
- Glasgow Jazz Festival 2013 Program
- 2013 Parliamentary Jazz Awards - Result
- CD Review: Gene Ess - Fractal Attraction.
- CD Review : MYRIAD3 - TELL
- Hot Club Gone Cold
- Newport, Rhode Island.
- Chilli News
- CD Review: Under Your Spell: Thisbe Vos
- CD Review - Lacuna: Talk on the Step
- Today on ITV from 10:00pm to 10:55pm
- Bassic Laughter
- Tim Kliphuis Trio - The Gypsy Seasons @ The Sage. ...
- Swing City Trio @ Ashington Jazz Club May 1.
- Miles Ahead
- Peter Volpe.
- You, Can't Take the Ale Train...
- Fiddles on Fire - Preview: Tim Kliphuis Trio - The...
- The Collective @ Hoochie Coochie May 2.
- The Greyish Quartet @ The Cluny. April 30, 2013
- Paul Edis Sextet @ King's Hall, Newcastle Uni. May...
- Heather Arthur Latest
- MoPoMoSo @ Summerhill Bowling Club. April 29, 2013...
- Debra Milne Ensemble @ The Star + Jam Session
- Local Singer Tragically Killed
- Stolen Sax.
- ▼ May ( 95 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)