Bebop Spoken There
Billie Holiday: “I hate straight singing. I have to change a tune to my own way of doing it. That's all I know.” – (Down Beat November 1, 1939).
Bunny Berigan: “We know that there are plenty of swing fans in the country wanting it--and we propose to give it [swing] to them.” – (Down Beat May, 1938).
Today Thursday February 11
Thursday, April 11, 2013
CD Review: Thought Fox – My Guess
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- Northern Line Showcase @ Live Theatre, Newcastle. ...
- Album Review: Ian Chalk/Dan Clarkson - The Nearnes...
- Montreal Jazz Festival
- The J Word – Hall 1, The Sage, Gateshead, April 28...
- International Jazz Day
- Jimmie Willets?
- Jazz in the Afternoon - Crescent Club, Cullercoats...
- I'll Never Forget
- May/June Splinter Listingss
- Mark Williams Plays Pat Metheny and Wins! Bridge H...
- Quercus: The Sage: Saturday April 27
- A piece of local jazz history.
- Video clip of Anthony Strong.
- CD Review: Mike Arroyo Jazz Organ Trio - Full Circ...
- SNJO "The Incredible Stan Kenton". Queen's Hall, E...
- CD Review: Human – Being Human
- Katherine Stone Quartet/Jam Session - Star, Newcas...
- Darlington Jazz Festival @ The Forum. Day 2 April ...
- Dave Kane Quartet make debut at Seven Jazz
- Lindsay Hannon Plus in Ernest Tuesday April 23.
- CD Review: VOLE – The Hillside Mechanism
- Darlington Jazz Festival @ The Forum. April 20, 20...
- Mark Toomey w. Jeremy McMurray Trio @ The Cherry ...
- CD Review: Eyes of a Blue Dog - Rise.
- Cherry Tree Celebrates 5th Anniversary with Discou...
- Melody Maker Magic.
- Sue Ferris/James Birkett Quartet, Roly Veitch. Bla...
- Red Stripe @ Boston Spa. April 20
- CD Review: Chris Greco Quartet - Trane of Thought
- Hot Fingers: Customs House, South Shields: Friday ...
- CD Review: Klökkeblömst
- Scottish National Jazz Orchestra (SNJO) directed b...
- You want piano? - You got it!
- CD Review: Hot Fingers - By a Waterfall.
- CD Review: Busk ACV
- Final Recitals
- National Record Store Day.
- Mo Scott @ Hoochie Coochie
- Mike Papapavlou & Chris Finch @ Newcastle Universi...
- CD Review: Dorothy Doring and Phil Mattson - Compo...
- Jazz in Ernest plus Star Update.
- The Jazz Caff Refugees present - Lickety Split @ T...
- A new jazz blog!
- Preview Quercus - The Sage, April 27.
- Hoochie Coochie Highlights.
- ACV - Busk. Not really a review!
- Daryl Sherman:Warm greetings from Manhattan!
- Listening to Louis on Radio 2
- Northern Line Showcase - Live Theatre, Monday Apri...
- Jazz on Radio York
- The Big Bash at the Black Swan.
- Jazz in York.
- Composition and Jazz Ltd. Summer Update
- The Great American Songbook - Summer Course
- Jazz at the Lit and Phil - Saxophonics.
- Jazz Caff Refugees At The Star: April 10: The Budt...
- Mighty acorns and all that jazz...
- CD Review: Thought Fox – My Guess
- CD Review: Bruno Heinen Sextet - Tierkreis.
- Paul Edis Trio with Mark Williams @ The Cherrytree...
- Search For a New Jazz Star.
- GIJF: Day 1 - Stonephace Stabbins featuring Zoe Ra...
- How did you get into Improvised Music?
- Mentioned in Despatches
- CD Review: Joshua Redman - Walking Shadows
- GIJF Day 3: Jazz Words Part 2 - Christine Tobin’s ...
- CD Review: Troy Roberts – Nu-Jive 5 (XenDen Music...
- CD Review: Claudio Scolari – Synthesis (CSMD05)
- GIJF - Day 2: Northern Spirits. Ian Carr's Northum...
- GIJF Day 3: Alexander Hawkins & Louis Moholo-Mohol...
- GIJF Day 3: Way in to the Way Out
- GIJF Day 3: Jazz Words - Larkin's Jazz.
- GIJF: Day 3: On The Concourse: The Blue Jazz Quint...
- GIJF Day 3: Jazz from the North
- GIJF Day 3: Afternoon Jazz
- GIJF Day 2: Jens Thomas and Verneri Pohjola
- GIJF Day 2: Jazz from the North.
- GIJF Day 2. The Paul Edis Sextet: Concourse, Satur...
- GIJF: Day 2: The Concourse. April 6.
- GIJF Day 3: Saxophone Massive.
- GIJF: Some Highlights A personal view from Ann Ale...
- GIJF Day 3: Ruby Turner; The Brand New Heavies. Ap...
- GIJF Day 2: Jazz Record Requests
- GIJF Day 1: Zara McFarlane. April 5 Hall 2
- GIJF Day 2: Workshop: An Introduction To Vocal Imp...
- GIJF Day 2: Bireli Lagréne Quartet/ Kevin Mackenzi...
- GIJF Day 1: Jambone Friday April 5: Hall 1
- GIJF Day 1 - Soweto Kinch & The Legend of Mike Smi...
- GIJF Day 1 NYJO with Mark Nightingale, Jacqui Dank...
- The One That Almost Got Away!
- The Collective @ Hoochie Coochie Thursday April 4,...
- Alan Glen Trio/Take it to the Bridge @ The Chillin...
- Early Bird Specials @ The Millstone 1pm. Today
- Peter Gilligan Trio @ The Star
- ACV on Tour.
- A Lyric from Gordon Phillips
- Jazz - Sounds of the 20th Century by James Birkett...
- CD Review: Lianne Carroll - Ballads.
- Preview Gateshead International Jazz Festival 2013...
- Preview Gateshead International Jazz Festival 2013...
- ▼ April ( 111 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Posting a Comment
Posting a comment.
1) Click on comments (at the foot of the posting.).
2) In the window that appears Click on...O Name/URL.
3) Type your name in the box (URL is optional).
4) Click on Publish your comment..
5) Type the jumbled word verification if asked.
Alternatively, email me - firstname.lastname@example.org.