Bebop Spoken There
Howard Riley: “When I started out playing jazz back in the late 50s, early 60s, if you wanted a gig you had to learn some standards.” – (Jazz Journal April 2017)
Eric Harland: “I love swing and I’m always going to swing but I also know that you can take a hip-hop groove and improvise with that just like you would with a swing pattern.” – (Jazz Journal April 2017)
Today Saturday April 29
1pm: Dean Stockdale Trio. 2:30pm: Abbie Finn Quartet 4pm: Rick Laughlin Trio - Quakerhouse, Mechanics’ Yard, Darlington DL3 7QF. 01325 245052. 1:00-5:00pm. Free (donations).
Dave O’Higgins with Durham Alumni Big Band - Majestic Theatre, Bondgate, Darlington DL3 7JT. Support set by Durham County Youth Big Band (7:15pm). £12.00. (+ concs).
Late night jam session - Quakerhouse, Mechanics’ Yard, Darlington DL3 7QF. 01325 245052.10:30pm. Free.
Ruby Turner - Alnwick Playhouse. 7:30pm. £21.00. & £20.00.
Fever & Friends - Customs House, Mill Dam, South Shields NE333 3NG. 7:30pm. £12.00. 0191 454234.
Bradley Johnston (solo guitar) - Cherry Tree Restaurant, 9 Osborne Rd., Jesmond, Newcastle. 7:30pm. No cover charge.
To the best of our knowledge, details of the above events are correct but may be subject to alteration.
Friday, September 07, 2012
CD Review - Vitor Pereira Quintet: Doors.
- ► 2016 ( 990 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- Scarborough Jazz Festival September 28 - Evening.
- A Tribute to Bill Evans and Scott La Faro - Scarbo...
- Paul Edis Trio: The Music of Bill Evans @ Queen’s ...
- Redemption Jazz @ Hoochie Coochie. Friday Sept. 27...
- FIRING THE FURNACE Adventures in Sound
- The Gershwins and me by Michael Feinstein
- Ken Vandermark Trio @ The Cluny. 25 September
- RIP Billy Barnes
- Book Review: Road Rat's Tips. The musician's guide...
- Seven Jazz.
- Paul Edis’ Improvisation & Ear Training Workshop ...
- Soothing the Savaged Breast
- Corner House Cancelled Tonight.
- Krzysztof Urbanski @ The Bridge
- CD Review:Torben Waldorff -: Wah-Wah
- CD Review: Dan Block - Duality.
- Taco Bells & others @ Morden Tower. September 21
- Take it to the Bridge @ The Chillingham. September...
- Young Collective Jam @ Hoochie. Thursday Sept. 20
- Fighting to Keep Jazz Alive
- Jazz At The Wool Club
- The All Star Big Band & Orchestra.
- Blaydon News.
- ROLLER TRIO Nominated for MOBO award and named a 2...
- Darlington Jazz Club Looking Good!
- Zoe Gilby Quartet @ The Bridge
- CD Review: Present Day The Original Unit
- Alan Silva (synthesizer) & Roger Turner (drums) @ ...
- Science Proves That Pop Music Has Actually Got Wor...
- The Wild Flower Sextet
- Identity Parade.
- VOTNJO Concert on YouTube.
- The Girls In The Band - Official Trailer
- CD Review: Preservation Hall Jazz Band - St. Peter...
- The Blaydon Aces @ St Mary’s Heritage Centre. Sept...
- Budtones @ Hoochie.
- Humble Request.
- Ear Training and Improvisation @ The Lit and Phil....
- All You Jazz Singers Out There – Be Prepared For A...
- CD Review: Yaron Herman - Alter Ego.
- Mike Durham Mailshot
- Wylam Songbook Course Fully Booked
- Jazz Jam Sessions: A First-Timer's Guide.
- Radio York Preview Scarborough Jazz Festival
- Someone - Sarah Ellen Hughes Big Band
- The Voice of the North Jazz Orchestra @ The Sage, ...
- Lindsay Hannon Plus @ Ashington Jazz Club. Wednesd...
- Tonight at The Sage Gateshead - Not to be missed!
- A Cast Of Thousands – Ruth Lambert’s Buskers Night...
- Vote in the 26th British Jazz Awards.
- CD Review: Allison Neale - Melody Express.
- Pete Gilligan's Jam Session @ Hoochie Coochie. Thu...
- CD Review - Vitor Pereira Quintet: Doors.
- Grecian God of Tenor @ Blaydon - Vasilis Xenopoul...
- Search for best unsigned blues musicians goes nati...
- Mrs Biggs
- CD Review – Kurt Elling 1619 Broadway, The Brill B...
- This is simply "Amazon"
- Sassafrazz @ The Cherry Tree.
- Ian Forbes breaks wrist in car accident.
- CD Review: John Surman – Saltash Bells (ECM 279 81...
- Farewell Maggie Ross
- CD Review: Arild Andersen / Tommy Smith and The Sc...
- New Century Ragtime Orchestra @ The Dolphin Centre...
- FRED HERSCH - SOLO PIANO UK TOUR
- Prom 59 - The Broadway sound.
- CD Review - Graham Dechter: Takin' it There.
- The 6 and 2 Threes Sextet @ The Sage. August 31
- ▼ September ( 69 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)