Bebop Spoken There
Julien Vedey: "Heads [drum heads] are like women. They are sometimes very bad tempered and sometimes affable, and the less one plays about with them the better the results." - (Melody Maker March 1926). From Colin Aitchison's amazing collection).
Shabaka Hutchings: “When I finally grasped what Louis Armstrong and Coleman Hawkins were about it was a massive breakthrough.” – (Jazzwise August 2015).
Today Sunday August 2
Musicians Unlimited Big Band - Park Inn, Park Rd., Hartlepool TS26 9HU. Free. 1pm.
Wednesday, May 30, 2012
- ► 2015 ( 587 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- Fireflies @ Hoochie Coochie
- Blaydon Bulletin
- Lots of music from Zoe here.
- Book review: The Baroness by Hannah Rothschild.
- Mini-Big Band at the The Customs House, South Shie...
- Dionne Warwick @ The Sage
- Alexander Stewart w. Alex Webb Trio @ The Sage.
- Match and Fuse - WORLDSERVICE PROJECT's bigger ban...
- Drummer seeks band
- Troyka @ The Central Bar, Gateshead. May 29
- The Sage is number 2 Concert Venue.
- Scarborough Jazz Festival
- Bird Lives - in Hong Kong
- The Andy Champion Ensemble @ The Bridge Hotel. May...
- Info on Green Festival wanted.
- Corner House Tonight.
- Wherever Ye Gan You're Sure to Find a Roly
- Composer of the Week
- The Groove-A-Matics @ The Magnesia Bank, North Shi...
- Diamond Jubilee Jazz Picnic @ Great Whittington
- Wylam Music Course on Great American Songbook
- What's in a Name?
- Randy Brecker w. SNJO and Edinburgh Schools Jazz O...
- Deep Joy Quartet @ Central Bar, Gateshead. Friday ...
- Jazz Bar Quartet @ Jazz Bar, Edinburgh. Thursday M...
- Dennis Rollins’ Velocity Trio @ The Sage. Thursday...
- Tommy Smith and SNJO Funding.
- Melody Maker Update
- Third Granddaughter for Bobby Carr.
- Revised Date For Cancelled Sage Session
- D Day Approaches - Daryl's UK Concert Dates
- JAZZ BRINGS SUMMER TO DURHAM
- On Safari in Pink Lane.
- Tommy Smith (on Facebook).
- Graham Hardy w. Paul Edis Trio @ The Cherry Tree.
- Alan Barnes/Greg Abate Quintet @ Corner House, New...
- Matt Anderson Quartet - Second Set
- The Matt Anderson Quartet @ The Bridge First Set.
- Gig preview: Dennis Rollins’ Velocity Trio @ The S...
- Get Well Soon Paul Grainger
- Deco Heart @ The Lit and Phil. Friday May 18.
- Sweet and Hot on June 4.
- CD Review: Clara Ponty "Into The Light"
- Watson, Walker and Edis - Lunchtime gig at the Lit...
- Ray Dales' Quartet @ Hoochie Coochie. Thursday May...
- In Celebration of Michael Brecker - presented by t...
- APPJAG Parliamentary Jazz Awards 2012 - Winners
- Tyneside Dialect Songs
- Preview - Jazz at Cafe Society Starring Gwyneth He...
- More Local Jazz History.
- End of the innings for Frank Parr - wicket keeper ...
- CD Review - The Tingvall Trio: Vagen.
- Wigan Jazz Festival Talk.
- When Harry (Connick jr.) Met Roly (Veitch).
- More Melody Maker Archive Update.
- Joe Jackson to release brand new studio album “The...
- What A Day This Has Been... Singin' The Blues in M...
- Joe Young Funeral Details
- The Scottish National Jazz Orchestra celebrates a ...
- Peter Fielding and his Band - Oxford Galleries 193...
- Lyndsay Hannon Plus at Hoochie Coochie Thursday M...
- CD Review: Nicky Schrire - Freedom Flight.
- Whitley Bay Classic Jazz Party - Sold Out!
- L’Entente Chordiale @ The Lit & Phil. 10 May
- Howard Alden Quintet @ Bois(terous)dale. May 10.
- L’Entente Chordiale @ The Lit & Phil. May 9.
- Jenny Williams Quartet/Alec Harper Quartet @ The S...
- Ernie Watts Quartet/Ronnie Scott All-Stars @ Ronni...
- TASTES - More Tales From The Widow's Kitchen by La...
- Dean Stockdale Quartet @ The Cherry Tree.
- Gabriele mit drei @ The Bridge Hotel. Sunday May 6...
- R.I.P. Mighty Joe Young
- James Taylor Quartet @ Hoochie Coochie
- Ruth Lambert Quartet. Ashington Jazz Club. Wednesd...
- My First Ever Jazz Record Request.
- Memories of George Evans.
- Bud (Powell) Goes to My Head.
- Jazz North East Newsletter.
- Jazz on BBC Radio and closer to home
- Lickety Split @ The Lit and Phil
- Fryering tomorrow night (MAY 5) not next week!
- NHAM @ Morden Tower. May 3
- Jammin' @ The Hoochie
- Watts On @ Ronnie Scott's
- Customs House Big Band. Open rehearsal @ The New C...
- Alexander Stewart joins Dionne Warwick as support ...
- The Stu Brown Sextet - Twisted Toons: the music of...
- The Gospel According to Mahalia Jackson
- More on the Jazz Baroness DVD.
- CD Review - Dagda Quartet: DAGDA ((w. Michael Buck...
- One Morning in May - today perhaps?
- ▼ May ( 91 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Posting a Comment
Posting a comment.
1) Click on comments (at the foot of the posting.).
2) In the window that appears Click on...O Name/URL.
3) Type your name in the box (URL is optional).
4) Click on Publish your comment..
5) Type the jumbled word verification if asked.
Alternatively, email me - email@example.com.