Total Pageviews

Bebop Spoken There

Roland Hanna: "To me, music is a sort of a help-mate for human beings to get through life with; it's a valve for us to release some of the pressure that builds up." - (Crescendo June 1980).

Rodney Whitaker: “I started playing jazz because a neighbor saw me carrying my upright bass home, and he made me know how important it was that I was part of a legacy – informed me about Paul Chambers and Ron Carter.” – (Down Beat November 2014).

Bebop Spoken There Archives.

Today Monday November 24

JAZZ IN THE AFTERNOON - Crescent Club, 1 Hudleston, Cullercoats NE30 3OS. 1pm. Free.
Classic Jazz, Raffles and a jolly afternoon.

Monday, October 31, 2011

Bright Lights and Promises - Fulfilled. Janis Ian @ The Sage.

Janis Ian (gtr/vcl).
Back in the late '70s. I worked in a record store which was where I first heard a disc of Janis Ian singing  Bright Lights and Promises. I flipped, bought the lp, and the guys in the band I was playing in at the time flipped too!
Time moved on and Janis gradually faded from our radar.
UNTIL TONIGHT!
Tonight the lady inspired a double encore from a  packed house who, including myself and keyboard player from that distant band Brian Chester, gave her a standing ovation!
Richly deserved, I hasten to add. 
This was folk music at its most melodic. The voice and the words so crystal clear, Janis' guitar accompaniment perfect and, if that wasn't enough, her stories in between the tunes kept us both laughing and near crying. The audience were intent - if someone had dropped a pin the bomb squad would have been alerted.
An absolutely wonderful session. The black curls may have been replaced by a lighter shade of grey, the husband ditched for a wife, but what counted was the voice.
Janis, we'll take Tea and Sympathy with you anytime.
Luvya.
Lance.
PS: The queue for CDs and autographs at the end of the show was the longest I've ever known at The Sage...        Janis plays the ARC Stockton on Tuesday night.
Link from Hil.

2 comments :

  1. I really missed out on this one Lance....alas.

    For the lovers of jazz who perhaps might read this can I just show you what this lady is like. Ok its certainly not jazz, but its one of 'those sort of songs' that makes an impact on you at a certain age. I thought I was that girl 'At 17'

    If you have a moment to spare in your busy lives just stop and listen to the words.

    I hope you enjoy.....Hilary, x

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oCTMcbQ1QE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hil you would have loved it. A hypnotic personality - I was spellbound

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

About this blog - contact details.

Bebop Spoken Here -- Here, being the north-east of England -- centred in the blues heartland of Newcastle and reaching down to the Tees Delta and looking upwards to the Land of the Kilt.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
PS:I don't care what your political views are - you can love or hate Cameron, Clegg, Milliband, Farage, Genghis Khan or Julius Caesar - just don't air them here!
Contact: lanceliddle@gmail.com I look forward to hearing from you.

Posting a Comment

Posting a comment.

1) Click on comments (at the foot of the posting.).

2) In the window that appears Click on...O Name/URL.

3) Type your name in the box (URL is optional).

4) Click on Publish your comment..

5) Type the jumbled word verification if asked.

Alternatively, email me - lanceliddle@gmail.com.

Subscribe!