Bebop Spoken There
Jimmy McPartland: “I think one of the reasons he [Bix] drank so much was that he was a perfectionist and wanted to do more with music than anyone could.” – (Down Beat January 13, 1954).
Anita O'Day: “I don't think a singer ever gets so good she can't stand a little professional advice.” – (Down Beat July 28, 1950).
Today Wednesday February 10
Thursday, June 09, 2011
Preservation Hall Jazz Band in London next Friday
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- Farewell to Ottilie Patterson
- Benjamin Moussay Trio @ The Lit & Phil, Newcastle....
- Al Di Meola and Peo Alfonsi @ Union Chapel London ...
- Roy Hargrove Quintet @ Union Chapel, Highbury. Lon...
- The Things We Did Last Summer (or maybe it was a f...
- Time for a Fix!
- VOTNJO w. HENRY LOWTHER
- Jambusters @ The Jazz Café
- Ain't no time for jive @ The Central Bar - they we...
- Tonight's The Night at the Bridge Hotel
- British Modern Jazz Site
- CD Review: Serpent - Alex Garnett.
- New Band to be unveiled on Saturday at The Sage
- Doctor's Dilemma
- Bird Plays Benny - Maine Street Jazzmen @ Rosie's....
- A Slow Boat To China perhaps?
- Radio 2's "Special" Day.
- Tonight at the Spice of Life.
- Tonight at the Bridge Hotel.
- Lennart Andersson @ The Jazz Café Sat June 18.
- Lennart Andersson w. Paul Edis Trio @ The Cherry T...
- A Special Night Tonight at the Cherry Tree.
- Claude Werner Quartet @ The Bridge Hotel, Newcastl...
- Tales of the Unexpected @ The Jazz Café
- Review: Twelve O'Clock Tales - Claudia Morris.
- More memories of Johnny Heenan by Bill Harper.
- There's a dance pavilion in the rain...
- Remembering Johnny Heenan by Anne (DeVere) Harper
- The Three Tenors are in Town!
- Review: Tommy Smith - Karma
- Next Wednesday (June 22) BBC Radio 2 - 2day
- Lennart Andersson w. the Blaydon Jazz Trio @ Blayd...
- Happy Homecoming for Herbie Hudson Maine St. Jazzm...
- Moonlighting in Vermont (Hotel)
- Konitz Condition Improving.
- Lindsay Hannon's New Orleans Choir - an invitation...
- Soul Rebels Brass Band 'up North' in July.
- Eyes Shut Tight @ The Bridge Hotel. June 12th
- NEWCASTLE UNIVERSITY MUSIC FESTIVAL AT KING’S HALL...
- Lennart Andersson to play extra gig.
- Message From Mike Durham
- Preview: Claire Kelly @ The Vermont Hotel
- Tonight at the Cherry Tree
- Of All The Gin Joints - Jazz Café Jam Session
- Tonight at The Bridge Hotel
- Mystery Big Band at Newton Aycliffe
- Count Basie on Jazz 625 - does anyone have a recor...
- Claire Martin - OBE
- The Impossible Gentlemen @ The Sage, Gateshead
- R.I.P Johnny Heenan.
- Dave Connolly Funeral Details
- Preservation Hall Jazz Band in London next Friday
- Back Street Jazzmen @ Rosie Malone's
- Q @ The Central Bar,Gateshead. June 7th
- R.I.P. Nils-Bertil Dahlander
- 30 Terrific Jazz Blogs (worldwide) and we're among...
- This Friday @ The Sage - The Impossible Gentlemen....
- Bird on TCM tonight
- Tonight's Jazz North East gig at the Central Bar.
- One Guy Named Mo. Cherry Tree Restaurant, Jesmond
- Keith Stephen Trio w. Caroline @ Ashington Jazz Cl...
- Be-bop - East Side Torpedoes
- Tonight at the Cherry Tree.
- Scarborough Jazz Festival Program
- Legohead @ The Bridge.
- Newcastle Community Green Festival - Leazes Park.
- Customs House Big Band - second set
- Old Glory Jazz Band @ St.Joseph's Birtley. June 2n...
- R.I.P Ray Bryant
- I Took A Trip On A Train and I wish I'd took the b...
- CD Review: Pursuit of Radical Rhapsody - Al Di Meo...
- Customs House Big Band - tonight @ the Saville Exc...
- The Maine Street Jazzmen, Sinatra and a cat called...
- Take It To The Bridge @ The Chillingham.June 1st.
- Dave Connolly Shock News!
- ▼ June ( 77 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Posting a Comment
Posting a comment.
1) Click on comments (at the foot of the posting.).
2) In the window that appears Click on...O Name/URL.
3) Type your name in the box (URL is optional).
4) Click on Publish your comment..
5) Type the jumbled word verification if asked.
Alternatively, email me - firstname.lastname@example.org.