Bebop Spoken There
Tex Beneke: "I give myself 5 more years then I'll retire and go into another business. I want a house...a home. For kicks, on Saturdays, I may visit the local pub and jam with the boys." - (Down Beat March 25, 1949).
Charles Tolliver, aged 74: “I never wanted to be any older than 22 and I can tell you it’s just not going to happen.” – (Jazz Journal October 2014).
Today Wednesday October 1
VIEUX CARRE JAZZMEN - Crescent Club, 1 Hudleston, Cullercoats NE30 3OS. 1pm. Free.
New Orleans Jazz. Raffles and a jolly afternoon.
Ferry from South Shields quarter to and quarter past. On the hour and half hour coming back.
Sitters in welcome.
BUSKERS NIGHT HOSTED BY RUTH LAMBERT - The Avalon, 26 South Parade, Whitley Bay. 9pm. Free.
All welcome. Keyboards, free buffet, drinks tokens for performers, real ale, real music.
LEVEE RAMBLERS NEW ORLEANS JAZZ BAND - Springwell Village Hall, Fell Rd., Gateshead NE9 7RP. 0191 4162630. 9pm. £2.
New Orleans style with guest trumpet player JOHN LAWRENCE.
The Teesside Hot Club swinging at the Bay.
Monthly - Tonight's the night - and what a night it promises to be!
Saturday, June 04, 2011
Old Glory Jazz Band @ St.Joseph's Birtley. June 2nd
- ► 2014 ( 782 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- Farewell to Ottilie Patterson
- Benjamin Moussay Trio @ The Lit & Phil, Newcastle....
- Al Di Meola and Peo Alfonsi @ Union Chapel London ...
- Roy Hargrove Quintet @ Union Chapel, Highbury. Lon...
- The Things We Did Last Summer (or maybe it was a f...
- Time for a Fix!
- VOTNJO w. HENRY LOWTHER
- Jambusters @ The Jazz Café
- Ain't no time for jive @ The Central Bar - they we...
- Tonight's The Night at the Bridge Hotel
- British Modern Jazz Site
- CD Review: Serpent - Alex Garnett.
- New Band to be unveiled on Saturday at The Sage
- Doctor's Dilemma
- Bird Plays Benny - Maine Street Jazzmen @ Rosie's....
- A Slow Boat To China perhaps?
- Radio 2's "Special" Day.
- Tonight at the Spice of Life.
- Tonight at the Bridge Hotel.
- Lennart Andersson @ The Jazz Café Sat June 18.
- Lennart Andersson w. Paul Edis Trio @ The Cherry T...
- A Special Night Tonight at the Cherry Tree.
- Claude Werner Quartet @ The Bridge Hotel, Newcastl...
- Tales of the Unexpected @ The Jazz Café
- Review: Twelve O'Clock Tales - Claudia Morris.
- More memories of Johnny Heenan by Bill Harper.
- There's a dance pavilion in the rain...
- Remembering Johnny Heenan by Anne (DeVere) Harper
- The Three Tenors are in Town!
- Review: Tommy Smith - Karma
- Next Wednesday (June 22) BBC Radio 2 - 2day
- Lennart Andersson w. the Blaydon Jazz Trio @ Blayd...
- Happy Homecoming for Herbie Hudson Maine St. Jazzm...
- Moonlighting in Vermont (Hotel)
- Konitz Condition Improving.
- Lindsay Hannon's New Orleans Choir - an invitation...
- Soul Rebels Brass Band 'up North' in July.
- Eyes Shut Tight @ The Bridge Hotel. June 12th
- NEWCASTLE UNIVERSITY MUSIC FESTIVAL AT KING’S HALL...
- Lennart Andersson to play extra gig.
- Message From Mike Durham
- Preview: Claire Kelly @ The Vermont Hotel
- Tonight at the Cherry Tree
- Of All The Gin Joints - Jazz Café Jam Session
- Tonight at The Bridge Hotel
- Mystery Big Band at Newton Aycliffe
- Count Basie on Jazz 625 - does anyone have a recor...
- Claire Martin - OBE
- The Impossible Gentlemen @ The Sage, Gateshead
- R.I.P Johnny Heenan.
- Dave Connolly Funeral Details
- Preservation Hall Jazz Band in London next Friday
- Back Street Jazzmen @ Rosie Malone's
- Q @ The Central Bar,Gateshead. June 7th
- R.I.P. Nils-Bertil Dahlander
- 30 Terrific Jazz Blogs (worldwide) and we're among...
- This Friday @ The Sage - The Impossible Gentlemen....
- Bird on TCM tonight
- Tonight's Jazz North East gig at the Central Bar.
- One Guy Named Mo. Cherry Tree Restaurant, Jesmond
- Keith Stephen Trio w. Caroline @ Ashington Jazz Cl...
- Be-bop - East Side Torpedoes
- Tonight at the Cherry Tree.
- Scarborough Jazz Festival Program
- Legohead @ The Bridge.
- Newcastle Community Green Festival - Leazes Park.
- Customs House Big Band - second set
- Old Glory Jazz Band @ St.Joseph's Birtley. June 2n...
- R.I.P Ray Bryant
- I Took A Trip On A Train and I wish I'd took the b...
- CD Review: Pursuit of Radical Rhapsody - Al Di Meo...
- Customs House Big Band - tonight @ the Saville Exc...
- The Maine Street Jazzmen, Sinatra and a cat called...
- Take It To The Bridge @ The Chillingham.June 1st.
- Dave Connolly Shock News!
- ▼ June ( 77 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
Posting a Comment
Posting a comment.
1) Click on comments (at the foot of the posting.).
2) In the window that appears Click on...O Name/URL.
3) Type your name in the box (URL is optional).
4) Click on PUBLISH YOUR COMMENT.
5) Type the jumbled word verification if asked.
Alternatively, email me - firstname.lastname@example.org.
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Contact: email@example.com I look forward to hearing from you.