Total Pageviews

Bebop Spoken There

Jackie McLean: “I can't understand British audiences. In Britain there doesn't seem to be any curiosity." (Melody Maker, April 1, 1961).

Charles Mingus: "It seems to me that if our records were not issued in Britain, the British cats would have to think for themselves" (Jazz News, July 26th 1961)

Archives.

Today Tuesday July 25

Evening
Misha Mullov-Abbado Sextet - Jazz Café, 25 Pink Lane NE25 5DW. 8pm. Free.
Charles Gordon (solo piano) - Redwood Bar, Vermont Hotel, Newcastle. 10pm - midnight. £10 & £8. JNE gig.
-----
Maine Street Jazzmen - Royal British Legion Club, West Jesmond Ave., Newcastle NE2 3EX. 8:30pm. £5.
-----
To the best of our knowledge, details of the above events are correct but may be subject to alteration.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Harley Johnson Trio @ The Cherry Tree Restaurant, Jesmond. Monday Jan 18.

Harley Johnson (pno), Jim Crinson (bs), Eric Stutt (dms).
Unfortunately, as I was unable to make the gig after helping to set it up, I'm unable to give a full rundown. However, after speaking to the musicians concerned, it seems as though it went down okay and with the promise of more gigs to come I guess I can say that the Cherry Tree's reputation for good music and good food hasn't been compromised.
Lance.
Peter, the owner, has since Emailed me to say, "We were very pleased with Harley. He got a pretty good reception from the audience but perhaps some of his stuff was not well known to many of them. I suppose this is where the more commercial stuff clashes with the more creative enjoyed by jazz musos. But he is a very talented guy and I suppose he will develop even further. He came well prepared and the trio played some very tight numbers together which I appreciated. They obviously play a lot together. He brought with him a play list which he gave to me and this included, All the things you are, I can't get started, Beautiful love, Someday my prince will come (played in waltz time - a great favourite of mine), My funny valentine, Billies Bounce (Charlie Parker), St Thomas (Sonny Rollins), These foolish things, All of you, Stella by starlight, Round midnight (everyone plays this ) , Oleo, I got rhythm. All very well played.
Next Monday (Jan 25) Mo Scott and Stu Collingwood."

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About this blog - contact details.

Bebop Spoken Here -- Here, being the north-east of England -- centred in the blues heartland of Newcastle and reaching down to the Tees Delta and looking upwards to the Land of the Kilt.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Contact: lanceliddle@gmail.com I look forward to hearing from you.

Subscribe!