Total Pageviews

Bebop Spoken There

Mundell Lowe: “...we also had to play for a floor show, which consisted of girls dancing--some of 'em were dressed, some of 'em were not so dressed.” – (Crescendo September 1974).

Brew Moore: "I played so many strip joints I was 21 before I saw a naked woman from the front." - (Downbeat July 24, 1969).

Number 24

Bebop Spoken Here is currently listed at number 24 (-2) in the WORLD JAZZ BLOG Rankings!

Today June 23

Evening
Paul Skerritt Band - Jazz Café, 25 Pink Lane, Newcastle NE1 5DW. 9pm. £7 (£6 in advance).
Box Wallet - Billy Bootleggers - 28 Nelson St., Newcastle NE1 5AN. 9pm. Free.
SouLutions - Hoochie Coochie, 54 Pilgrim St., Newcastle NE1 6SF. 9pm. £7.
-----
Hot Club du Nord - Queens Hall, Hexham - SOLD OUT!
-----
Horace Silverman & the White Gardenias - Crescent Club, 1 Hudleston, Cullercoats NE30 4QS. 7:30pm. £7.50.
-----
Steve Bone - Al Forno, 81 Skinnergate, Darlington DL3 7LX. 7pm.
-----
To the best of our knowledge, details of the above events are correct but may be subject to alteration.

Friday, January 08, 2010

Blue Horizons by Chris Yates

Blue Horizons by Chris Yates. Farthings Design and Publishing. ISBN 978-1-4092-9004-9. £9.99. (The review below was initially posted in September before the sad loss of the author. Out of respect I have not changed the tense. As more copies are now available I have re-posted it.)
Jazz North East Director Supreme, Jazz Journalist and Master of the Adjective, Chris Yates has finally got around to putting his memories of promoting and writing about jazz into book form.
"Blue Horizons" is an entertaining and informative read covering Chris' involvement in jazz from his early days in Hull to the present in Newcastle.
It's an easy read and not at all the brow-furrowing tome one might have anticipated from an academic of Chris Yates standing - I'm pleased to say.
The anecdotes abound as can be expected from someone who has spent maybe 30/40 years rubbing shoulders with the jazz greats.
It has amusing stories that make compelling reading although the author has avoided going down a 'warts and all' path as I'm sure he could have done. I suspect that Chris is too much of a gentleman and has too much respect for the musical past of the artists concerned to wish to tarnish their image.
That he could have done I know first hand having been a part of the Jazz North East team at the time many of the events related occurred.
Even without the warts it is essential reading for those who wish to look back at that Golden Age when the person standing next to you at the bar of the Corner House could easily be Lockjaw Davis or Sweets Edison.
Highly recommended.
Lance.
(Enquiries to lanceliddle@gmail.com) PS: I have just heard that a request for Sydney Bechet's "Blue Horizons" and dedicated to Chris will be played on tomorrow's Jazz Record Requests (5:00pm Radio 3).

1 comment :

  1. I just finished reading it last night - a very enjoyable read. I'm not much of a reader to be honest -when I start to read (in bed usually) I seem to nod off after just a few lines. So I never get anything read!!
    But once I started this book I found it quite compelling and so read it all in just a couple of days. I think because I could closely relate to the story - my own induction into jazz was via
    60s R&B and folk blues, then local trad bands at clubs, then beyond. And I too have great affection and respect for all styles across the board.
    Also a lot of the local JNE gigs I was there of course so it brought back lots of memories. Some nice little anecdotes too.
    It's a fine contribution, to local jazz especially, to have things documented this way.
    Congratulations and well done Chris.
    Roly

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

About this blog - contact details.

Bebop Spoken Here -- Here, being the north-east of England -- centred in the blues heartland of Newcastle and reaching down to the Tees Delta and looking upwards to the Land of the Kilt.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Contact: lanceliddle@gmail.com I look forward to hearing from you.

Subscribe!