Total Pageviews

Bebop Spoken There

Roland Hanna: "To me, music is a sort of a help-mate for human beings to get through life with; it's a valve for us to release some of the pressure that builds up." - (Crescendo June 1980).

Rodney Whitaker: “I started playing jazz because a neighbor saw me carrying my upright bass home, and he made me know how important it was that I was part of a legacy – informed me about Paul Chambers and Ron Carter.” – (Down Beat November 2014).

Bebop Spoken There Archives.

Today Monday November 24

JAZZ IN THE AFTERNOON - Crescent Club, 1 Hudleston, Cullercoats NE30 3OS. 1pm. Free.
Classic Jazz, Raffles and a jolly afternoon.

Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Streets Are Alive With the Sound of Music

Strolling down Northumberland Street in Newcastle I was delighted to hear swingy sounds filling the air. Even without a rhythm section, apart from the baritone sax who played some bassish lines, it swung along nicely. Radio 2 should have been recording it! (That's a compliment by the way guys - see previous post).
I didn't realise it at the time but the four hornmen are an offshoot of Soznak - a band that was one of the success stories of the recent Mouth of the Tyne Festival. I should have stayed longer!
I must also commend them on their business acumen - set up next to a cash machine. No excuse folks!
If you want to know more go to their excellent myspace site.
Further down the street some religious sect were singing and preaching the Gospel whilst in the Central Arcade, outside of J.G.Windows, two young violinists were displaying their undoubted virtuosity. From my days of working in the Arcade I know just how wonderful the acoustics are.
Finally, as I descended via escalator to the bowels of Monument Metro Station I heard the plaintive wail of an alto sax.
It was a sound I'd recognise anywhere - Diane from Dinnington.
Think "Harlem Nocturne" and you've got Diane. No one can make an alto sound quite as melancholy as Diane - apart from Johnny Hodges that is.
I'd never seen her for years and it was nice to chat and catch up.
All in all there was some good music out there today.
Lance.

1 comment :

  1. hi lance thanks for that
    weve had tons of album reviews but few live gig reveiws so that is very nice
    liked your blog
    best wishes paul heres a fun click

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDw_G0f6EBY

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

About this blog - contact details.

Bebop Spoken Here -- Here, being the north-east of England -- centred in the blues heartland of Newcastle and reaching down to the Tees Delta and looking upwards to the Land of the Kilt.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
PS:I don't care what your political views are - you can love or hate Cameron, Clegg, Milliband, Farage, Genghis Khan or Julius Caesar - just don't air them here!
Contact: lanceliddle@gmail.com I look forward to hearing from you.

Posting a Comment

Posting a comment.

1) Click on comments (at the foot of the posting.).

2) In the window that appears Click on...O Name/URL.

3) Type your name in the box (URL is optional).

4) Click on Publish your comment..

5) Type the jumbled word verification if asked.

Alternatively, email me - lanceliddle@gmail.com.

Subscribe!