Total Pageviews

Bebop Spoken There

Kenny Dorham: "Diz has on a green job with low vents. The upturned horn has a silver bell. That gives us green on silver on black-and-yellow socks. Wow!" - (Down Beat June 15, 1966).

Cécile McLorin Salvant: “I am one of the unfortunate users of Spotify – which is not great for us musicians. I use it because it’s so easy to pick up anything you want anywhere…” (Jazzwise August 2014).

Bebop Spoken There Archives.

Today Thursday July 31

Afternoon.
VIEUX CARRE JAZZMEN - The Millstone, Haddricks Mill Rd., South Gosforth, NE3 1QL. 1:00pm. 0191 2853429. FREE.
New Orleans in nice pub with 4 real ales, good food and a banjo!
----
TEES VALLEY JAZZMEN - No. 1 Champagne Bar, Market Place, Bishop Auckland DL14 7NJ. 12.30pm. Free.
How many Champagne bars are there in Bishop?
-----
Evening
MAINE STREET JAZZMEN - Potters Wheel, Sunniside, NE16 5EE. 8.30pm. Free.
Good Time jazz with vocals by Olive.
-----
STRICTLY SMOKIN' BIG BAND - The Millstone, Haddricks Mill Rd., South Gosforth, NE3 1QL. 7pm. Free.
Monthly - Tonight's the night to hear fantastic big band!
-----
THE TEES HOT CLUB - Dormans, Oxford Rd., Linthorpe, Middlesborough, TS5 5DT. 01642 823813. 9pm. Free admission.
Gypsy jazz with guests Jeff Aucott (keys); Ray Dales (alt); Mick Hill (tpt).
----
POCKET JAZZ ORCHESTRA - Fighting Cocks, Darlington Rd., Middleton St. George, Darlington DL2 1JT. 01325 335253. 8pm. Free.
Jeremy McMurray, Peter Ayton, Paul Smith + Mark Toomey (alto); Jackie Summers (vocal).
Back on August 7.

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Dewy Eyed

Yes I know how difficult it is to pick out that one special number that just moves you to a dewy eyed state, but for me it has to be "My One and Only Love". Liz. (Quite a challenge Liz to pick one song. I think we should pick one and have four reserves. So I'll go for "I Wished on the Moon" with "Robbins Nest", "You're a Lucky Guy", "I've Got A Crush on You" and "Can't We Be Friends?" on the bench. What do others think? - Lance)

19 comments :

  1. Stars Fell on Alabama:
    Moonlight in Vermont:
    Stardust:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lance

    I can't choose just one! Three, just for starters...''I Can't Get Started'', ''It's Only a Paper Moon'' and ''Night and Day''.

    Russell

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are many song that get me dewy eyed but one of my favorites is "You go to My Head" I just love the line "Like a summer with a thousand July's" Classic.
    Bren.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My childhood tear-jerker was 'The Ugly Duckling' sung by Danny Kaye and later several Buddy Holly songs I found moving ('True Love Ways' for one) but now I've grown up slightly I am moved by several of the gasbook gems - the one's specifically with lyrics that would stand as poetry. 'I can dream can't I' by Sammy Fain/Irving Kahal for one outstanding example. I find I am more drawn to good lyrics than melody or harmony but when all three have something special that's the ultimate.
    Roly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scarlet Ribbons by Harry Belafonte always brings me close to tears.
    Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Has to be 'you don't know what love is', even if it did come from 'Abbot and Costello meet the wolfman' (according to Mick Shoulder) See you soon Rx".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually Ruth, it was an Abbott and Costello movie but it was "Keep 'Em Flying".

    ReplyDelete
  8. For me the Michel Legrand song "You Must Believe in Spring" NB the version by Tony Bennett & Bill Evans.

    ReplyDelete
  9. For me it's a close run thing..mainly because I'm a total softie!
    Top 3 have to be :
    A House is Not a Home,
    The Way You Look Tonight
    and
    The Man I Love..

    ReplyDelete
  10. My ex-husband proposed to me whilst playing Fats Waller's "My Very Good Friend The Milkman" on the piano.
    I still get dewy-eyed over that song.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Scarlet ribbons is my favourite too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It might as well be spring
    Too late now
    I'll be around
    Like someone in love

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jimmy McHugh's "Where Are You?" -mmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with Bren. "You Got To My Head" just touches that spot for me.
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh my goodness me there are so many wonderful songs to pick from, it aint an easy task..

    "Body and Soul" Carmens version (on youtube) is in my humble opinion the best.

    "What are you doing the Rest of you Life"

    "Can't get started with you"

    "For once in my Life"

    Can I come back again please and add some more?....;o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another must to add

    "When I look in your Eyes"

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Lance,
    At last Rosemary has got around to this - but she has been busy I'm pleased to say!
    Her choice is:

    Embraceable You - Gershwin
    The Things We Did Last Summer - Julie Styne
    I Concentrate on You - Cole Porter

    Hope this suits
    Frank and Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  18. another dewy eye contender, "In a sentimental mood"...one of Duke's best

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sinatra's "I Fall In Love Too Easily" is a contender, as is Mildred Bailey (now there's a forgotten great) singing "Fools Rush In" from 1940....or even Jelly singing and playing "Mamie's Blues", but there are so many!

    Mike D.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Posting a Comment

Posting a comment.

1) Click on comments (at the foot of the posting.).

2) In the window that appears Click on...O Name/URL.

3) Type your name in the box (URL is optional).

4) Click on PUBLISH YOUR COMMENT.

5) Type the jumbled word verification if asked.

-----

Alternatively, email me - lanceliddle@gmail.com.

About this blog - contact details.

Bebop Spoken Here -- Here, being the north-east of England -- centred in the blues heartland of Newcastle and reaching down to the Tees Delta and looking upwards to the Land of the Kilt.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
PS:I don't care what your political views are - you can love or hate Cameron, Clegg, Milliband, Farage, Genghis Khan or Julius Caesar - just don't air them here!
Contact: lanceliddle@gmail.com I look forward to hearing from you.

Subscribe!