Bebop Spoken There
“I win all the awards; others make all the money.” – Buddy DeFranco (Down Beat February 10, 1966).
Today Thursday April 24.
VIEUX CARRE JAZZMEN - The Millstone, Haddricks Mill Rd., South Gosforth, NE3 1QL. 1:00pm. 0191 2853429. FREE.
New Orleans in nice pub with 4 real ales, good food and a banjo!
MAINE STREET JAZZMEN - Potters Wheel, Sunniside, NE16 5EE. 8.30pm. Free.
Good Time jazz with vocals by Olive.
THE TEES HOT CLUB - Dormans, Oxford Rd., Linthorpe, Middlesborough, TS5 5DT. 01642 823813. 9pm. Free admission.
Gypsy jazz with guests Jeff Aucott (keys); Richie Emmerson (ten); Kevin Eland (tpt); Mark (dms).
STRICTLY SMOKIN' BIG BAND - The Millstone, South Gosforth, 7pm. Free.
Monthly - Tonight's the night!
Thursday, April 24, 2014
CD Review: Great Voices of Harlem - Gregory Porter, Mansur Scott, Donald Smith & Paul Zauner's Blue Brass
Wednesday, April 23, 2014
Tuesday, April 22, 2014
Give it a shot - Lance
(Review by Lance).
Monday, April 21, 2014
Sunday, April 20, 2014
Saturday, April 19, 2014
(Review by Lance).
Friday, April 18, 2014
Book Review: Bathed in Lightning: John McLaughlin, the 60s and the Emerald Beyond by Colin Harper, Jawbone Press.
- Ashington Jazz Club Preview
- CD Review: Great Voices of Harlem - Gregory Porter...
- Pining For Courtney...
- The Jazz Machine @ The Victoria, Whitley Bay. Apri...
- EVERYONE DESERVES MUSIC AT SAGE GATESHEAD
- Hurry on down to The Vic - new jazz venue. Show yo...
- I'll Join the Legion That's What I'll do!
- Jazz in the Afternoon @ Cullercoats Crescent Club....
- Alter Ego @ Blaydon Jazz Club. April 20
- Paul Skerritt Band @ Cherry Tree. April 21.
- Bombay Jazz Radio 4 - 4pm.
- Peter Gilligan Quintet The Music of Horace Silver ...
- Jazz at the Fighting Cocks, Middleton St George = ...
- CD Review: Jeremy Wilms - Diamond People.
- Peter Gilligan interviewed by Zoe Gilby
- Burandanga @ Hoochie Coochie April 18.
- Book Review: Bathed in Lightning: John McLaughlin,...
- CD Review: Yolanda Duke - Te Llevo Bajo La Piel
- Art Pepper
- Pilgrim St. Set @ Hoochie Coochie. April 17
- CD Review Led Bib The People in Your Neighbourhood...
- COMPETITION TIME!!!
- Fred Wesley @ Ned Kelly's
- Chaka Khan @ Hoochie next month!
- CD Review: Nancy Goudinaki - I Wanna Be Your Star
- R.I.P. Jimmy McDowell
- Jazz Café Jam Session - April 15
- JJA Awards 2014
- Pink Lane Jazz Co-op at The Globe is going ahead!
- Britain's Greatest Ever Jazz Musician?
- Mitch Laddie Band @ The Tyne Bar. April 13
- Preview Darlington Jazz Festival April 24 – 27
- This Sunday (April 20) @ Blaydon.
- Krysztof Urbanski - The Urban Jazz Society @ Bridg...
- CD Review: Colin Vallon Trio - Le Vent
- Mick Shoulder Website.
- CD Review: Leslie Pintchik - In the Nature of Thin...
- Jazz Café May Program.
- Jazz Record Requests - BBC Radio 3 today 5pm.
- If you happen to be out Tokyo way...
- Paul Edis Trio @ The Jazz Café. April 11 (second s...
- Paul Edis Trio - Jazz Café April 11
- Blood Count - Radio 4
- Virtuoso Jazz Trio @ The Lit & Phil. April 11
- The Collective @ Hoochie Coochie. April 10.
- GIJF Day Three:Double Bill - Bill Frisell’s Beauti...
- Lindsay Hannon and Guests @ The Cherry Tree April ...
- The Scottish National Jazz Orchestra directed by T...
- CD Review: Pete McGuinness Jazz Orchestra - Streng...
- Jazz Times 2013 Expanded Critics’ Poll
- Percy Bush Orchestra/Females Brawling in London Ni...
- GIJF Day Two: AN AFTERTHOUGHT (I HAVE SEEN THE FUT...
- GIJF Day One - Robert Glasper Experiment.
- CD Review: Clayton-Hamilton Jazz Orchestra - The L...
- Sheila Giles Photos added to archives.
- Radio 4 Rounds off GIJF!
- GIJF Day Three: The Waal; Hannabiell & Midnight Bl...
- GIJF Day Three: Fragments Of Splinter With Wilson ...
- GIJF – Day Two: Andrew McCormack & Jason Yarde wit...
- Vieux Carré Play the Blues When it Rains!
- GIJF Photos on Sage Gateshead Website
- A poignant moment from this year's GIJF
- GIJF Day Two: Recorded music from the Concourse an...
- GIJF - After thoughts
- GIJF Day Three - Polar Bear.
- GIJF – Day Three - Shiver
- GIJF: Day Three: Youth Jazz Afternoon: Stretch Tri...
- GIJF – Day Two Late Night Club @ the Jazz Café
- Identify the players.
- Correction to North East Jazz Gigs Flyer at Sage G...
- GIJF Day Three. In the Spirit of Duke - Jacqui Dan...
- GIJF Day Three. Jazz Toons - Jacqui Dankworth w. S...
- GIJF – Day Two Richard Illes’ Microscopic. April 5...
- GIJF – Day Two. Marius Neset & Daniel Herskedal. A...
- GIJF Day Two - The Spring Quartet. Sage Gateshead ...
- GIJF Day Two - Jean Touissaint Quartet. Sage Gates...
- GIJF – Day One Djangologie - April 4.
- GIJF – Day One Late Night Club @ the Jazz Café. Ap...
- GIJF - Day One. Norrbotten Big Band, Django Bates,...
- Debra Milne Ensemble @ The Empty Shop, Durham. Apr...
- GIJF NEWS!
- CD Review: The Cafifornia Feetwarmers
- Happy Greetings to you from Tokyo
- CD Review: Johanna Graham Quartet - Don't Let Me B...
- Vieux Carré Jazzmen to entertain the crowds at the...
- Henry’s Swing Club @ The Brandling Villa. April 1
- Jazz Café Jam Session April 1.
- Bird Lives!
- GIJF - Late Night Club.
- ▼ April ( 89 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
Posting a Comment
Posting a comment.
1) Click on comments (at the foot of the posting.).
2) In the window that appears Click on...O Name/URL.
3) Type your name in the box (URL is optional).
4) Click on PUBLISH YOUR COMMENT.
5) Type the jumbled word verification if asked.
Alternatively, email me - firstname.lastname@example.org.
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Contact: email@example.com I look forward to hearing from you.