Bebop Spoken There
Dee Barton: "The reason for my staying with the sticks [drums as opposed to trombone] is that I've always wanted to be in the driving seat. If I'm going anywhere, I like to do the driving." - (Down Beat April 18 1968).
Roberto Fonseca: ”In my first group, I played drums. It was a Beatles group. I was Ringo!” - (Down Beat October 2013).
Today Saturday August 30.
Saturday, August 30, 2014
Friday, August 29, 2014
Thursday, August 28, 2014
I first watched Willie on TTT where he used to sit in the canteen with his guitar until an announcement said “willie to Studio?”
Charlie told me he was a banjo player but got a gig on guitar so he pawned his banjo and tuned the guitar like his banjo. He thought afterwards, there must be more to the guitar than this and a long term love started."
Wednesday, August 27, 2014
Released August 18 on ECM.
Tuesday, August 26, 2014
PS: He also did a pretty good job on mass murderer Christie in 10 Rillington Place...
PPS: Here's the opening ten minutes to All Night Long - sent by John Taylor.
Monday, August 25, 2014
Sunday, August 24, 2014
- Jazz Education Program to start at the Globe
- CD Review: Jacob Karlzon 3 - Shine
- Salute Adolphe with Stobart, Brass Jaw and more
- Strictly Smokin’ Big Band @ The Millstone. August ...
- Jazz In The Afternoon; Tynemouth Metro Station : T...
- Willie Payne remembered
- CD Review: Manu Katché - Touchstone for Manu
- RIP Richard Attenborough
- The Savannah Jazz Band @ The Customs House, South ...
- Edinburgh venue The Outhouse wins a Herald Angel a...
- It's a Trad Day Today!
- Hurry! Book now for Woodlawn
- CD Review: Nancy Kelly - B That Way.
- Play Jazz Workshop @ Sage Gateshead
- CD Review: Larry Fuller.
- Customs House Jazz
- The 4 Bs – Bacall, Barber, Brecon & Bremen
- Pilgrim St. Set @ Hoochie Coochie August 22
- CD Review: Blue-Eyed Hawk – Under the Moon
- Tonight at Hoochie Coochie
- CD Review: Solitary Moon - Ginger Berglund & Scott...
- CD Review: Andy Milne and Dapp Theory – Forward in...
- Preview - Chapel Allerton Festival, Leeds.
- Paul Edis Trio @ The Black Bull, Blaydon. August 1...
- Whitley Bay Classic Jazz Party Update
- A Celebration of Chris Hodgkins’ 29 years as Direc...
- Tonight at 7 on BBC 4 TV.
- Strictly Smokin' Big Band @ The Tyne Bar Newcastle...
- Zoe Gilby Trio @ The Jazz Café. August 15
- R.I.P. Frankie Dunlop.
- The Collective @ Hoochie Coochie August 14
- Bet on a Weekend Double with the Tees Valley Jazzm...
- Barry Manilow & All That Radio Jazz
- Hoochie Coochie Birthday
- RIP Lauren Bacall
- CD Review: Scottish National Jazz Orchestra featur...
- This Sunday at Blaydon Jazz Club
- And Everybody Stayed - Paul Skerritt Band @ The Ch...
- CD Review: Matthieu Marthouret Bounce Trio - Small...
- Gary Copley on Radio York/Leeds
- Gregory Porter Live @ Newport Jazz Festival.
- The Paul Skerritt Band @ Ashington Jazz Club Augus...
- RIP Kenny Drew Jr.
- Paul Edis Trio @ The Jazz Café August 8
- The Mark Williams Trio @ The Cherry Tree, August 4...
- CD Review: Grand Fatilla - Global Shuffle
- [To Stan Getz] "Isn't the saxophone the easiest in...
- Fusion collective Fat-Suit hit the road in Europe
- Co-op's Dividends (Musically speaking)
- CD Review: Topology & Trichotomy - Healthy.
- CD Review: Minimal Klezmer - OY OIOI
- The Jazz Repertory Company Presents…….. Jazz At Th...
- Jazz Café Jam. August 5.
- CD Review: Dave Kain - Raising Kain.
- Jazz Co-op News.
- Joshua Redman @ Jazz en la Costa, Almunecar, Spain...
- Sant Andreu Jazz Band Reign in Spain
- Iceni @ Cumberland Arms. August 3
- Zoe Gilby and Mark Williams : Jazz Cafe: Saturday ...
- Next Week at the Spanish City Plaza
- RIP Lol Wells.
- Alan Glen Trio @ Jazz Café August 1
- Zane Lowe's Hottest Record of the Week (Radio 2)
- RIP Idris Muhammad.
- Sits Vac.
- Strictly Smokin' Big Band @ The Millstone. July 31...
- ▼ August ( 67 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
Posting a Comment
Posting a comment.
1) Click on comments (at the foot of the posting.).
2) In the window that appears Click on...O Name/URL.
3) Type your name in the box (URL is optional).
4) Click on PUBLISH YOUR COMMENT.
5) Type the jumbled word verification if asked.
Alternatively, email me - email@example.com.
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org I look forward to hearing from you.