Bebop Spoken There
“Pure bluegrass music is very akin to jazz in that you really don't play the same tune the same way twice. There's a little improvisation there" - Cal Collins (Jazz Journal June 1996).
Jazz North East Crowd Funding Appeal.
Thursday December 12
VIEUX CARRE JAZZMEN - The Millstone, Haddricks Mill Rd., South Gosforth, NE3 1QL. 1:00pm. 0191 2853429. FREE.
New Orleans in nice pub with 4 real ales, good food and a banjo!
THE TEES HOT CLUB - Dormans, Oxford Rd., Linthorpe, Middlesborough, TS5 5DT. 01642 823813.
Gypsy jazz with guests.
MAINE STREET JAZZMEN - Marquis of Granby, Streetgate, Sunniside, NE16 5ES (on A692) 0191 4880954. Free. 8:45pm.
Good time Dixieland.
STRICTLY SMOKIN' BIG BAND - The Millstone, Haddricks Mill Rd., South Gosforth, NE3 1QL. 7pm. Free.
Powerhouse big band - good music and good beer. Back January 30.
Sunday Dec 15 Blaydon Jazz Club
Christmas Concert - including our usual DIY buffet (please bring along an item of food to add to the feast)
One of the North's finest straight ahead jazz pianists, Teesside's Jeremy McMurray, joins with Blaydon's own Roly Veitch on guitar, Neil Harland bass and Adam Sinclair drums and brilliant Charlie Parker inspired altoist Mark Toomey for an evening of songbook repertoire. We usually finish at 10.30 but as there will probably be a longer break for the buffet it will probably finish a bit later on Sunday - about 10.45 or thereabouts.
Wednesday, December 11, 2013
Tuesday, December 10, 2013
Monday, December 09, 2013
PS: and next year - no prizes for guessing what my Film of the Year will be!
Free entry, but we will be collecting money on behalf of Durham Foodbank throughout the night. Durham Foodbank provide nutritionally balanced meals to over 1100 people in crisis every month throughout
Sunday, December 08, 2013
Nikki Iles' 50th Birthday Bash with Norma Winstone and The Printmakers @ Kings Place, London. December 7.
- Meditations was dedicated to Stan Tracey R I P
- This was followed by twelve other works of musical art, skilfully chosen to demonstrate every colour in the Printmakers Palette.
- Nikki concluded with a promise of a CD already in the bag of the evenings 'prints' available soon
Saturday, December 07, 2013
Friday, December 06, 2013
Thursday, December 05, 2013
Marilyn Crispell & Raymond MacDonald + John Pope & Greta Buitkute @ King’s Hall, Newcastle University. December 4
- Jazz Café Dates for the Diary.
- Sunday Night Stomp End of Year Special.
- Gaudencio Thiago De Mello
- Jim Hall by Maurice Summerfield
- Jim Hall by Jim Douglas
- Bopping All Hours
- RIP Jim Hall (1930-2013)
- Gig of the Year
- ALT – Splinter @ the Bridge December 8
- Durham University Big Band Gig This Wednesday (Dec...
- CD Review: Stranahan/Zaleski/Rosato – Limitless
- Jam Session @ Salsa.
- The Dean Stockdale Trio @ Salsa Café December 7
- Keith Stephen's Hot Club Trio Featuring Caroline I...
- Nikki Iles' 50th Birthday Bash with Norma Winstone...
- Jazzman Documentary - last day - £129 to go.
- Puppini Sisters @ Sage Gateshead
- RIP Stan Tracey
- Havana Club 5 @ Hoochie Coochie December 5
- Redemption Jazz Fill Empty Shop. December 4.
- Rendezvous Jazz @ St Joseph’s, Birtley. December 5...
- Jazz Café Preview Thursday December 5.
- Marilyn Crispell & Raymond MacDonald + John Pope &...
- The Jazzman Documentary Final Appeal.
- George (Graham's) funeral from John Taylor
- A Date For The Diary (Night Owls only).
- WANTED! EST Photos
- Jazz Deaths in Ashington
- CD Launch: Zoe Gilby Quartet - Twelve Stories @ Br...
- Claire Kelly Trio – Salsa Café November 30.
- Jitterbug Vipers & Bluebuds @ Live Theatre. Novem...
- New Sunday Afternoon Jam Session
- ▼ December ( 32 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
Posting a Comment
Posting a comment.
1) Click on comments (at the foot of the posting.).
2) In the window that appears Click on...O Name/URL.
3) Type your name in the box (URL is optional).
4) Click on PUBLISH YOUR COMMENT.
5) Type the jumbled word verification if asked.
Alternatively, email me - email@example.com.
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org I look forward to hearing from you.